Huanyang VFD

ironmonger

Registered
Registered
I know this is an inexpensive VFD, and my problem is minor, but here it is.

I was able to succesfully program the 3 HP HY VFD that is running a 2 HP motor on my Harrison L5. The programing is not too different from my 3 HP Motortronics running a grinder, but I have used the HY manual to the best of my ability to follow it.

I have forward and reverse working on a remote switch, and the remote speed control is functioning. I have the lower and upper speeds functioning but I cannot enable the Estop or the reset function.

The forward function is accomplished with a switch closure, as is the reverse function. I was able to use the old control switch after rewiring it into a SPDT center off switch, and that part is fine.

It's not that I can't live without the estop, but it would make the buttons that I mounted more useful.
From the diagram that I used to successfully wire the Forward-Reverse controls one would assume that a simple switch closure would engage the estop function, as holding the contact closed causes forward operation until the switch contact is opened. Bringing the Estop control lead to ground does nothing.I would have thought that the Estop would be engaged by grounding that contact. Not so much.

If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.

As I said, the lathe functions right now, and if I never get the estop and after that the reset to operate I can still use the lathe, but It would be nice...

paul

I have not set up a Huanyang VFD and don't have a copy of the manual. I do not understand why you are trying to ground the lead. From your description, it sounds like you just have to open the circuit between this lead and what I assume is a common connection for the inputs.

Grounding the E-Stop does not seem correct. I would think that you would want to have the E-Stop in series with the common control supply on the VFD. Having said that, this still is not a true E-Stop.

The E-Stop should cut main power to the VFD to be a true E-Stop. Normally this is done with a contactor (relay) ahead of the VFD in the main power line that is controlled by the E-Stop button, and in most cases is a two switch system where there is a Control Power button to turn it on, and an E-Stop button to turn it off. That way the system does not power up when you pull out the E-stop, you also have to push the Control Power button. In OSHA terms, this is called a Prior Act, in other words, do you really mean to turn it on.

This VFD has 6 programmable inputs, any one of which can be brought to a common 7th terminal, which I loosely referred to as 'ground', to execute the command that each input is programed with. Cutting the power to the vfd might have untoward consequences. In the case of the forward and reverse commands, the contact needs to be closed and held there to keep the motor running. Opening this circuit with an Estop button would stop the system but it would power up again as soon as the button is relapsed, unlike a mechanical latching relay system as the switch that is used to run the system forward or reverse would still be in the operational or closed position.

This Estop is a software function and can be 'reset with a separate key closure after it is executed. This Estop can be used with Mach3 and other external programs as well as local mechanicals signals.

paul

This VFD has 6 programmable inputs, any one of which can be brought to a common 7th terminal, which I loosely referred to as 'ground', to execute the command that each input is programed with. Cutting the power to the vfd might have untoward consequences. In the case of the forward and reverse commands, the contact needs to be closed and held there to keep the motor running. Opening this circuit with an Estop button would stop the system but it would power up again as soon as the button is relapsed, unlike a mechanical latching relay system as the switch that is used to run the system forward or reverse would still be in the operational or closed position.

This Estop is a software function and can be 'reset with a separate key closure after it is executed. This Estop can be used with Mach3 and other external programs as well as local mechanicals signals.

paul

I took a look at the manual and I see what you are saying. It looks like all you have to do is program the input terminal that you want to use for the E-Stop as 09. Then when that terminal is connected to DCM it should trigger an E-Stop. Then that can be reset by connecting the RST terminal to DCM.

It also looks like when using the 3-wire start method that the RUN should be momentary contact. The FOR/REV would be maintained either open or closed depending on the desired direction, but the motor should not start until the RUN switch is closed. I also suspect that to use the E-Stop function, that you would have to have a momentary RUN switch, else it might over ride the E_Stop. The RST requirement should over ride the RUN signal, but it may not.

Thanks Jim.

I think that at this time, the reuse of the REV-OFF-FOR switch is more desireable that rewiring the panel and replacing the switch. My present wiring method, while functional, seems to negate the Estop function.

I relocated the main disconnect from the rear of the lathe to an easily accessable location on the left side of the cabinet, and that will suffice for now.

I used to subscribe to the idea "If it aint broke, don't fix it", which might be good self-advise right now... :))

paul

My Huanyang VFD burned up when I set the braking function to 3 seconds. It was more than the small internal resistor bank could handle. Tried to return it and got a run around. Got a US made one which works fine, even with the brake function at 2 seconds. Conclusion: you might be better off not trying to use the E-stop function on the Huanyang.

Hey fellas,
Are you referring to an 'emergency stop' when you say e-stop?
As I recently began my search for a VFD to operate 3ph equip. on 2ph power I recall some discussions about needing to add braking resistors for the e-stop function.These needing to be sized according to load for optimum effect (the included-if any, usually being too small) since braking is accomplished by shorting the windings (not to ground IIRC).
HTH
J

Yes E-Stop = Emergency Stop. Some of the smaller, cheaper VFDs have internal breaking resistors and have no provision for an external resistor. They won't stop as fast as one with an external resistor. The better units do have a provision for external resistors. You are correct, the resistor is sized for the drive.

The E-Stop will still work, in that it cuts power to the motor, but may not stop the machine as fast as it would with external resistors. No system will provide a near instant stop without providing mechanical breaking.

I recently worked a system that had 7 very high end, 15KW servo drives and it was all internally controlled with no external breaking resistors, not even sure how that one worked. It did have a 150KW power supply that was common to all of the drives so maybe it had enough internal dissipation.

I think all Huanyang VFDs have terminals for braking resistors, all sizes of VFDs with the resistor sizes and ratings are listed in the manual I have. Without one you short the two terminals together. I have a 100 ohm, 300W one on mine, never had a problem with it and I have tried some pretty extreme settings.

Back