Huanyang VFD

I think all Huanyang VFDs have terminals for braking resistors, all sizes of VFDs with the resistor sizes and ratings are listed in the manual I have. Without one you short the two terminals together. I have a 100 ohm, 300W one on mine, never had a problem with it and I have tried some pretty extreme settings.

Thanks Alan

Is the internal estop configured to 'trip' with a momentaty closing of the estop switch contact on the vfd or does it require the contact be held closed, as in a push pull emergency latching stop switch? I have no resistors added to the external contact, perhaps thats why the function does not work...

Does the condition, as I believe it may be, need to be canceled by the reset contact?

I will add some external resistors. I have read that the boards can fry without them... what can it hurt to add them vs the bad side :))

paul

I think all Huanyang VFDs have terminals for braking resistors, all sizes of VFDs with the resistor sizes and ratings are listed in the manual I have. Without one you short the two terminals together. I have a 100 ohm, 300W one on mine, never had a problem with it and I have tried some pretty extreme settings.

Yes, this is true. Mine did have provision for an external resistor bank to use, in addition to the internal one. I relied on the internal one and it couldn't handle a fast braking setting. Just warning others not to rely on the internal resistor bank for e-braking below about 5 seconds (will vary with your motor speed and rotating mass involved).

Thanks Alan

Is the internal estop configured to 'trip' with a momentaty closing of the estop switch contact on the vfd or does it require the contact be held closed, as in a push pull emergency latching stop switch? I have no resistors added to the external contact, perhaps thats why the function does not work...
I haven't set up an E-Stop but I wired everything momentary contact except for the stop button which is a normally closed switch, open to stop. This lets me use the jog functions.

Before I added the braking resistor I'd get an overcurrent error if I tried to brake too fast but nothing broke.

I have a motor starter before the VFD so that's my E-Stop and overload protection.

Another important ingredient to the VFD resistor recipe,watts. While 300W seems extreme,I don't know what your using it on, the W rating is important.
Where to much or little ohm rating can be a real problem too much W capacity won't hurt IIRC (maybe in the wallet).
I had one all picked out after watching MrPete222 fuss with his,then I saw Shadon HKW' review of the SMVvector units & now IDK.
I'll be hooking up to a 2hp BP clone (Taiwan-a very nice unit if I may say so) & thought I may also use it on a Walker Turner 3hp grinder (12" ?) since I can only run one machine at a time but IDK if I wanna fuss with programming each time I use a machine.
HTH
J

I think Jim mentioned the OSHA standard for an E-Stop and it is important to denote the difference between a quick stop and an E-Stop. I worked at a major corporation plant that had what they called an E-Stop wired thru an Allen Bradley PLC. It finally bit them hard. They immediately had to change all their machines over to a true E=Stop, one that dropped out the magnetic starter thru "hard wired circuit". The module in the AB circuit stuck shut and when all of the buttons on the machine were pushed it kept on running. They eventually had to pull a isolation disconnect to stop the machine and a lot of things happened then. Fortunately, no one was hurt. E-Stop should always be "hard wired"!

Thanks Alan

Is the internal estop configured to 'trip' with a momentary closing of the estop switch contact on the vfd or does it require the contact be held closed, as in a push pull emergency latching stop switch? I have no resistors added to the external contact, perhaps that is why the function does not work...

Does the condition, as I believe it may be, need to be canceled by the reset contact?

I will add some external resistors. I have read that the boards can fry without them... what can it hurt to add them vs the bad side :))

paul

Recently did a VFD build for another member who had a Huanyang VFD. Manuals are definitely difficult to decipher. I have also read elsewhere that these units (? model) can fail when using the internal braking aggressively. I used a 70 Ohm 300W resistor in the build ($18 on eBay) and the VFD brakes the lathe in ~2 seconds. Without the external braking resistor you will get an over voltage error with fast braking rates. In addition, when using very heavy chucks at high RPM, there is too much momentum in the system to stop the chuck in 1-2 seconds. With the Huanyang I use a 2 second brake time. It is also possible to program another VFD input to select a longer brake time if a heavy chuck is used.

E-Stop in the industrial work setting is a different animal then the hobby machinist, and has a redundancy mechanism. Using the E-stop command structure and input on the VFD terminals can have different results depending on the unit (power disconnect, free-run or emergency braking). The easiest way to implement it on the Huanyang VFD is to disconnect the DCM signal going to For/Rev command usually by interrupting power to the power latching relay. There is also the stop command:

PD024 STOP key
Set Range:0—1 Unit:1 Factory Setting:1
0:STOP invalid.
1:STOP valid.
This parameter set is only valid when PD001 is set to l or 2.
When the control mode is set for external terminals or communication control, STOP key on the
panel can be chosen to be valid or invalid. When choosing it as valid, STOP key can stop the
inverter in running. When it needs to restart, the former running signal must be released before
restarting the inverter.

PD026 Stopping Mode
Set Range:0—1 Unit:1 Factory Setting:0
Two stopping modes are available for the needs of different equipment.
0:Decelerating Stop
When PD030 is set to 0, DC braking is invalid. When DC braking is invalid, the inverter will
decelerate to the stopping frequency, and then stop outputs, and the motor will coast to stop. When
PD030 is set to any non-zero value, DC braking is valid, and the inverter will first decelerate to
the stopping frequency, and then stop by DC braking.
DC braking at stop is usually used for high position stop or for positioning control. It must be
noticed that frequent uses of DC braking will cause over-heat of the motor.
For the related parameters refer to PD028, PD031 and PD030.
1:Coasting Stop
When the inverter receives a STOP command, it will immediately stop output and the motor will
coast to stop. When the coasting stop mode is selected, DC braking is invalid.

You should be able to program the terminals as follows, and if the reset input is not responding, I would recheck the programming/input.

PD044 Multi-input 1(FOR function) Factory Setting: 02

PD045 Multi-input 2(REV function) Factory Setting: 03

PD046 Multi-input 3(RST function) Factory Setting: 10

PD047 Multi-input 4(SPH function) Factory Setting: 17

PD048 Multi-input 5(SPM function) Factory Setting: 18

PD049 Multi-input 6(SPL function) Factory Setting: 19

Set Range:00—32 Unit:No

00: Invalid. The terminal is set for empty to prevent false actions.

01: RUN Running. It can be combined with other terminals to compose multiple

control modes.

02: FOR Forward Rotation

03: REV Reverse Rotation

04: STOP Stopping

05: FOR/REV Switching of FOR/REV rotation

06: JOG Jogging

07: Jog FOR Rotation

08: Jog REV Rotation

09: Emergent Stop: Emergent stop. It can receive external emergent stop command or other

fault signals

10: RST Reset. This terminal can be used for reset after a fault is removed.

I use a Hitachi WJ200 VFD with a 1 second braking and an external braking resistor. The E-Stop button latches and disconnects power to the direction switches by breaking the circuit to the latching power relay and also signals the VFD to stop. This is done through a NC and a NO switch block on the E-Stop. Once the E-Stop switch is released, you need to do a power relay reset for the directional controls to operate. The most important part, is that rotation cannot spontaneous resume once the E-Stop is disengaged or the VFD is reset (i.e. direction switch must be in the stop position). There are different ways to wire this.

Thanks for the info. As soon as it warms up a little I'll get back into the shop and try again.

paul

Back