Humble vintage work horses of the shop

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
Yeah. Sure. They aren't sexy but they are damn important. Trigger pump oil cans are a real work horse in a shop. They just work and they don't give much trouble year after year. Each oil can in the pictures cost $3 or less.

Left to right:
Golden Rod, Eagle, Eagle, Plews

20220521_114505.jpg

20220521_114519.jpg

I use 5 different oil cans in my shop. The two Eagles work extremely well on the ball oilers on my lathe so they get way oil.

I have three more modern cheapy oil cans with 10 wt and 20 wt for the surface grinder and a larger oil can with good old dark cutting oil. No one wants to see that thing with the head soldered on crooked but it works!

The Plews and Golden Rod are just general oil in the garage. (0w40 and 0w20)

I do have one of the brass Eagles the cool youtube kids all like, but it leaks and isn't in good shape. Oh well....cost me a few bucks. Someday I'll find a good one.

Post up your favorites and why they are your favorites. That way I can keep any eye out for them at the flea market.

I'm overly humbled , a story for another day . :D

I used to keep Kroil in a pump oiler. Not any more! The check ball in the oiler would stick and not pump. I'd have to take it apart and free it up. I didn't need to use if for a couple of years, and the next time I did, it wouldn't pump. The check ball had rusted to the cylinder, and the whole inside of the unit was rusty.

It was an inexpensive unit from the local NAPA store, but oil shouldn't attack steel!

Some old, some new, and not including the plastic ones.

1653407669818.jpeg

We don’t see the classic brass Eagle 66’s much around here, at least I’ve never run across one. The one Eagle I do have belonged to my dad and I think my grandfather on the farm before him — it’s been “old” for as long as I can remember.

I bought the little red ones at Princess Auto for a few dollars each but they’re actually darn nice little cans! They don’t leak, have a solid action, and hold a decent amount of oil. The tip is a little cheesy so I usually make a more elegant one from brass and just Loctite it over top of the original one.

The biggest one comes in at 24” tall and is stamped “CNR” for Canadian National Railway. Don’t know how old it is and as you might imagine it’s a bit awkward to use other than for oiling a locomotive so most of the time it lives in my kitchen — I used to keep olive oil in it for a while…o_O

1653407732507.jpeg

Please avoid cans like these. From eBay, seemed like a good deal...but they pump 95% of the oil directly onto my hand. I have to trash them both, just too lazy, it's hardly worth the effort. :)

Oilers.jpg

Back