Huron - I Had To Let This One Pass

bjornsh67

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I apologies if this is not the correct thread title for this post on a Huron milling machine. I'll try to move it to another thread if needed.

I found this old sturdy mill left alone outdoor in a shop yard.

The spindle power is 9kw. The weigth is around 7000lbs. To bad that the shop kept it outside in heavy cold rainy conditions. He should at least have poured 1 liter of cheap oil on now rusty surfaces ( the rust seems to be surface rust only).
It just might squizeee it into my crammed shop. Maybe. :face slap:

The depth of cut with the 4" cutter in the picture is 5mm for steel. The asking price is 3000$ but I would not give more than 1200$ because of the lack of test under power and the rust. Part cost for this machine is probably high so anyone buing it should insist on test under power.

Any experience with this machine out there? Any comments on the rusted ways for the knee?

Bjorn

I added more photos that I took on my visit to the site. The rotary table is not included. I am unsure if the vertical attachement is part of the deal but I did not see anything in their shop that could need that attachment.

20151028_135041.jpg 20151028_133624.jpg 20151028_133700.jpg 20151028_133707.jpg 20151028_133724.jpg 20151028_134000.jpg 20151028_135520.jpg 20151028_135648.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know anything about that machine, but it looks very substantial. As far as the rust, a ScotchBrite pad and some light oil might work.

Tell him it only good for $1200 & if he leaves it outside, it will be scrap.
There is a lot of work in that machine to get it right.

WOW! That thing's a BEAST! It's a shame when good machinery is set outside to rot. I hope it gets saved before it's too far gone.
The rust on the surface of my '69 Craftsman table saw was in worse shape. To clean it up, I first used a braided cup wheel to knock off the heavy rust. After that, I attached a Scotch-Brite pad to a palm sander.

If I had the room I would be all of it myself. It's a shame I have space and power limitations as a machine like this would hog metal all day, every day. I tell you what, I'll take the Thiel off your hands so you can make room for the Huron :D

Paul.

Don't that make ya want to scream when you see a good machine like that abused. We know there cant be much wrong with it. Looks to me the rotary table should go with it . I bet it's got a drive unit to the table for cutting splines and grooves or what ever. I'd try like the devil to get it all at once if I was going to buy it. And with the damage now it's value goes down .

Back