Hvy10 Just Hums Now -

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Went to turn on the lathe and all it does is make a humming noise at the motor....forward and reverse switched both. I know absolutely nothing about electric motors, but if anyone can explain in layman's terms how to trouble shoot it, I'd sure like to here some advice. :guilty:

Went to turn on the lathe and all it does is make a humming noise at the motor....forward and reverse switched both. I know absolutely nothing about electric motors, but if anyone can explain in layman's terms how to trouble shoot it, I'd sure like to here some advice. :guilty:
More information is needed on the motor name plate tag on the motor for example
First disconnect the power and see if the motor will turn freely

Unless you saw smoke, and experienced that smell that one cannot actually describe, then John is likely right. The stuff that is in a motor is very fundamental. Iron, copper, and insulation. There is not much that can go wrong with it unless the shaft is stalled, and it burns up. The most unreliable part is always the capacitor. Also, "just hums" is exactly the symptom when the capacitor supplied phase is kaput!

Thanks for the replies. I did unplug it and motor turns freely so nothing seized AFA I can tell. Single phase 110V - came off a ship back in the 40's. Been using it for quite a few years now w/o any issues on the motor - always ran smooth and quiet. Going to have to attemps dropping it out of the cabinet I guess......looks like a project for me, as I'm not as young and spry as I once was. [chuckle]

Attachments

• IMGP1235.JPG
    IMGP1235.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 21
I'm glad nothing is seized.

Before you remove the motor try one more test.
ONLY IF YOU CAN DO IT SAFELY, try giving the motor a spin by hand just before turning it on.
The idea is to still have the shaft spinning the direction you want before the run winding is powered.
Give it a couple tries just in case. You need some minimum rpm for this to work.

If this does work, then you can be assured that the problem is with the start capacitor, or the centrifugal switch (or more unlikely, the start windiing itself...)

Brian

Thanks for the replies. I did unplug it and motor turns freely so nothing seized AFA I can tell. Single phase 110V - came off a ship back in the 40's. Been using it for quite a few years now w/o any issues on the motor - always ran smooth and quiet. Going to have to attemps dropping it out of the cabinet I guess......looks like a project for me, as I'm not as young and spry as I once was. [chuckle]
I had that same cabinet on a 10L I used to have. Looks like you can access the start capacitor right there, without even removing the motor, if you wanted to. I am pretty sure it is at the very bottom ... see pic attached

Bernie

Attachments

• 10L Motor Capacitor IMGP1235_.jpg
    10L Motor Capacitor IMGP1235_.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 16
It came off a ship - I have the card from SB. Also had a second motor at some point.

I did try spinning the motor shaft [via rope pulley to chuck while belts engaged] and engaging the start switch but no luck as far as motor engaging. Tried several times actually.

My son is an electrician and is stopping by later this week to have a look see at it - hopefully we can get back up and running in a week or so.....

Sure sounds like starter capacitor gone bad... easy fix. Remove the one in there, check specs, buy, replace. Done...

One question... when you turn it on, starts humming... If you can do this safely.... if you spin the chuck, to get the motor turning, does it run?

Last edited:
Back