Hvy10 Just Hums Now -

Well...after experiencing another "what a dumb S#iTT" moment, we discovered a plug from the motor had somehowHvy10Plug2Outlet.jpg come out of the outlet box as seen in picture. The humming was from the switch - probably because it has a fwd/reverse function? I dunno.....Anyhow, after plugging it back in, I have full operation again. I am so happy it ended with looking stupid instead of costing hundreds $$ :***** slap:

Glad all is good!!

The humming was probably from contactors, without the motor noise you can hear them pretty clearly

Yeah - and my hearing is well on its way out - pretty poor, so I'm easily fooled by sounds these days....[chuckle]

So glad the problem was as simple as it was. There are a couple of points that don't really apply here but may be of interest to someone. I am digging around in my memory to when I was a beginner marine electrician. I was attached to a very old ship, a "Wind Class Icebreaker, AGB4/W283", cut up for scrap in the "80s. I was attached to her in the '60s. . . She was built, commissioned, in the mid '40s. Part of the Lend/Lease operation with the Soviet Union. I have found occasional Cyrillic cable tags behind switch gear. She was recommissioned by the US Navy in the late '40s and transferred to the Coast Guard in 1967.

The first is single phase motors on a ship. There were a number of single phase motors aboard, mostly attached to auxillary equipment. Some of these motors were capacitor start, some were repulsion start. Being built in wartime, many exceptions were made. Whatever would do the job. . .

The headache I was expecting (fortunately not) from this post was an repulsion start motor, one that has movable brushes running on a commutator. On opening, it looks very similar to a DC/Series Universal motor. Except for the brushes, shorted together at 180 degrees. And a shorting bar that lifts to the commutator segments when the motor comes up to speed. I am told they were very common on ships built during the war, which would place them in the surplus market of the last few years. They would not be used for new equipment, certainly not currently. But could well have shown up on used equipment, especially in the '50s or '60s. Where a large number of our machines date from.

Another anomoly that may or may not apply to us is a 3 phase 120 volt motor. On my ship, they were used on fuel oil purifiers, like a cream seperator but for water in the diesel oil. They also were fairly common when the ship was built and not available from any source but Navy spare parts. They could be (and were) run single phase with an external capacitor once they showed up surplus.

Both of these motors would be rare on today's machinery, but did exist at one time and did show up in the surplus market.

Last edited:
Back