I am an idiot - stuck chuck - again

I’ve got a atlas 10” and I 3D printed a lock for my bull gear as well as a cover for my spindle when it doesn’t have a chuck or backing plate on it…above is the first time I’ve seen the ones that go into the chucks so I guess I’ll be firing up the 3D printer to make a few of those as well…your Logan appears to be the same as some of the atlas’s…I could print you a lock and ship it to you if it would help to not tear up a nice piece of equipment…

well you said it didn't work the rod kept spinning, so how did you lock it up this time?

I wasn't being very clear when I said spinning. It wasn't spinning, but rather slipping when a lot of torque was applied. The washers would slip against the face of the spindle. So just as I said, I applied heat then shocked it with a hammer. Then, despite the slipping, it worked loose.

I’ve got a atlas 10” and I 3D printed a lock for my bull gear as well as a cover for my spindle when it doesn’t have a chuck or backing plate on it…above is the first time I’ve seen the ones that go into the chucks so I guess I’ll be firing up the 3D printer to make a few of those as well…your Logan appears to be the same as some of the atlas’s…I could print you a lock and ship it to you if it would help to not tear up a nice piece of equipment…

Thanks! If you see a print file that would work for a Logan 9B I'd be happy to give you a couple bucks for one just in case.

Have a look at this thread for a tool that can lock your spindle (make mods to fit your particular lathe). Also, cut a washer from wax paper or parchment paper and put between your chuck and the spindle. The paper will prevent the chuck from sticking to the register and make removal easier if it becomes stuck again.

And, yes, you definitely have to remove ALL the swarf from both the spindle threads and the chuck threads. It can be quite traumatic to have to turn a mounting plate off a lathe.

I had trouble once. And apparently someone had trouble before me, since I had to fix a broken bull and back gear. All problems went away when I made sure to: put a drop of spindle oil on the threads each time the chuck was removed, swap chucks at the slightest excuse, and avoid accidentally reversing the lathe. I am making a positive spindle lock which will end any potential future problems, but don't seem to have any.

Back