I bought a new old mini lathe. Does anybody recognize the model?

Feynman

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
as per title, I bought this very nice little bench lathe. It was not used at all, looks and feel very nice. I measured the spindle runout and it's a 1 micron or less.

Bought it in Switzerland, it uses W20 Schaublin type collets. Does anybody recognize the maker of this lathe?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230325_114007 - Copy.jpg
    20230325_114007 - Copy.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 20230325_113948 - Copy.jpg
    20230325_113948 - Copy.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 20230325_113954 - Copy.jpg
    20230325_113954 - Copy.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 216
It looks very nice, and even from here it looks very precise! I wonder, could it be a Lorch? I see the "LA" on the headstock as well as tailstock which was one of the Lorch models. I haven't been able to find a photo of a Lorch just like yours but you may have better luck. I did run into a similar post from 2018 on a watchmaker forum that had an identical lathe (also from Switzerland, I believe) but they didn't know the maker either. There is some information on Lorch here at the lathes.uk site...

-frank

It looks very nice, and even from here it looks very precise! I wonder, could it be a Lorch? I see the "LA" on the headstock as well as tailstock which was one of the Lorch models. I haven't been able to find a photo of a Lorch just like yours but you may have better luck. I did run into a similar post from 2018 on a watchmaker forum that had an identical lathe (also from Switzerland, I believe) but they didn't know the maker either. There is some information on Lorch here at the lathes.uk site...

-frank
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen the post you are referring to and yes it's exactly the same model. This is weird, the casting are very nice and does not look at all a home made or small series machine....

I'm new to machining so I have few questions for the more seasoned people:
- the spindle is very precise as I said but the chuck not so much (about 100 microns of offset). how can you compensate for the offset in that kinf of chuck (3 jaw self centering?
- The bed to spindle axis is 65 mm, do you think I can mount a 100 mm chuck?
- What should I use for lubrication of the ways and of the rotating parts? Previous owner used a kind of white grease.
- How the hell do you clean the lathe :))) . The chips go everywhere and I'm afraid that if I use a brush I would scratch the ways....
- can you suggest any resources (books) beside this forum where all the basic noob questions are answered?

Thanks,

Thanks for the feedback. I have seen the post you are referring to and yes it's exactly the same model. This is weird, the casting are very nice and does not look at all a home made or small series machine....

- the spindle is very precise as I said but the chuck not so much (about 100 microns of offset). how can you compensate for the offset in that kinf of chuck (3 jaw self centering?
- What should I use for lubrication of the ways and of the rotating parts? Previous owner used a kind of white grease.
- How the hell do you clean the lathe :))) . The chips go everywhere and I'm afraid that if I use a brush I would scratch the ways....
- can you suggest any resources (books) beside this forum where all the basic noob questions are answered?

Thanks,
Beautiful lathe!
To your questions:
- A small amount of runout in a 3-jaw chuck is not really an issue because you turn the stock an it ends up concentric to the lathe centre line.
- With 65mm bed to spindle distance (130mm diameter) I'd be a bit concerned about chuck to carriage interference with a 100mm chuck.
- Way oil should be used to lubricate the ways as it will not hold chip the way grease will.
- I brush chips off the lathe ways with a cheap 2" wide paintbrush, commonly called a 'chip brush'.
When I was a beginner (I still am to be honest) I learned a huge amount from Blondihacks. Check out her Youtube channel.

Others with for more experience will likely chime in and offer more/better advice!

Found this on another forum. Looks identical...

Found this on another forum. Looks identical...
I found the exact same post. I'm happy to say that mine is in even better conditions.

Again this is weird, it's definetely a well made product, the castings do not look like something made for a few items but it seems that this model has been somehow forgotten. Even the previous owner had no idea about the manufacturer!! Weird!!

I think I will try asking on some German or Swiss machining forum, maybe I will get lucky.
I'll let this forum know if I get an answer as to who the maker of this little lathe.

Thanks,
The previous answers given were pretty good, but I would add that a 4 jaw independent chuck can be used if you need to chuck something up and maintain concentricity with an already machined surface. You will also need a dial indicator so that you know how to adjust the chuck. Set-true chucks are made in larger sizes, so that a self centering chuck can be precisely centered. A good quality chuck with this feature will be very repeatable if the same size stock is used (low quality chucks, not so much). I built an adjustable back plate for a 5C collet chuck, to account for the low quality collets I had at the time. A collet chuck is also an option, but the 4 jaw is pretty much a must have, as you can hold irregular work and offset things if you need to.

Back