I broke my SouthBend 9" !!!

trg-s338

Active User
Registered
Man oh Man, I believe I just sheared the key that couples the spindle pulley to the spindle! I was using my milling attachment using a 3/8ths endmill on an aluminum round late last night when I noticed the tool slow quickly and then stop turning while the pulley continues to turn. I withdrew the tool and I could spin the chuck independent of the running motor/pulley. I've never taken this lathe apart before as it is new to me but it must be similar in its coupling between the two driven parts of an Atlas 12" I've had long ago. For all I know, I may have stripped the pulley keyway itself, or God forbid, the spindle keyway. I don't imagine it could be something else wrong but I might be missing something. I will have to get it apart to know for sure. Anyone have this happen to their Southbend 9"?

Any precautions, tips and tricks, suggestions on dismantling the headstock spindle assembly so that I could do this repair smoothly and not mess it up? Looking at it, it seems fairly straightforward but I am not yet familiar with the nuances of this lathe's construction. I know, I should get a new flat belt while I'm at it. Suggest what is a better brand of flat belt and where to get one? Anything else I should service while it is being taken apart anyway? Thanks for your input.

By the way, I was making a part for my lathe keyway slotter project when this happened. Another project on hold now.

Show us some pic of your lathe so we can give advice on how to remove spindle. Some lift up and some drive out to the chuck.
Paul

Re: I broke my SouthBend 9

Thanks for the links. Hopefully, they're similar to my SB 9". I'll check them out.

Here's some pictures:

DSCF2581.JPG DSCF2582.JPG DSCF2579.JPG DSCF2580.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I must apologize to all who put their brain to work helping me solve my problem. I am embarassed to say that my inexperience is readily apparent when I tell you that after tearing the spindle apart, the key is intact, shaft, bearings, all look good. What I missed and overthought initially in concluding it was broken was that the darned bull gear pin worked its way out and disengaged from the pulley. I feel so dumb!

There is a good reason I picked the nickname "allthumbz"....

;D

Nelson

Much better to find a simple mistake than to scatter out a perfectly good machine and find nothing wrong, eh?

Glad that was it, dont feel embarresed I have been there, and since then I find that now and then you
have to squirt this or atleast I have to , I find it tends to get gummed up (carb cleaner) nice lathe just
like mine.

Thanks all for you're encouragement and support, maybe I will live this down someday.

Back