I crushed some corners on my mill stand

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a Precision Matthews PM-25MV with the factory stand. The whole setup weighs about 350 pounds.

I moved my mill (still bolted on the stand) from one side of my shop to the other. I was by myself so I walked it on the corners of the factory stand. This seems to have crushed most of the sheet metal corners of the stand (by up to 3/32”).

I installed anchor sleeves in the concrete floor and bolted it down tightly, but now it shakes pretty badly when I run the mill.

It has 2 mounting bolts (see pictures).

Does anybody know how to fix this, short of buying a new stand?

I gas welded the damaged area, but the bottom is obviously no longer flat. It might be off by up to 1/16”.

image.jpg

Last edited:
My first idea would be to hammer shims into some or all of the corners.

My friend suggested rigid material (e.g. JB Weld) pushed all around the base.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly, my concrete garage floor slopes ever so slightly toward the street (presumably for drainage). Everybody must have that same problem.

When I shim in order to take up the slack (and eliminate the play) at the base of the stand, I will probably keep the slope of the concrete in mind and bias in that direction.

I am much more concerned about eliminating the shaking than I am about having the table level.

I’ve never had a garage floor the was perfectly flat or level. It’s why I put leveling feet or the ability to level the castors on my mill/drill and all my other machines.

Another option is to use self leveling grout.
Level the base with shims, so you have about a 1/8 to 1/4" gap. Build a dam around the base and pour in the self levelling floor grout. The grout will take up the space and give you a solid foundation.

Back