I didn't know they sell PM lathes in other countries...?

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I thought Precision Mathews was a american business thing... I found this PM 12x36 on an Indonesia website by accident.

When I direct copy the web link It wont work like they are trying to be sneaky about it, but I found a shareable one.. I took a screen shot too just in case this link stops working.

PM 12X36 Link

PM indonisa.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't done any research on"Gridatama Equipment" but I would not trust that at all. Nope, not one single bit. I would bet the they are trying to ride on the coattails of Matt's stellar reputation. My 2 cents

I haven't done any research on"Gridatama Equipment" but I would not trust that at all. Nope, not one single bit. I would bet the they are trying to ride on the coattails of Matt's stellar reputation. My 2 cents
You may well be right, but they also sell other brands, not just PM. It’s probably just as easy for PM to have their machines shipped from China or Taiwan to Indonesia as it is to have them shipped to Pennsylvania. Maybe not. Until Matt chimes in, we’re all just speculating anyway.

Tom

It's not ours. and PEP is "preferred equipment package" not a model number.

It's not ours. and PEP is "preferred equipment package" not a model number.

Was just bringing it to anyones attention cause it says PRECISION MATTHEWS in the add for it, And it didn't look right, a knock off...

It is not unusual for Chinese factories (which make custom versions for large customers like PM), to crank out a few more and try to sell them on the grey market. Nor is it unusual for some buddies, to buy a similar model, and do some silk-screening on them to sell them as a more desirable model.

The FBI learned that the knock-off Gucci bags appeared to be made on the same production line, as the real thing. The same is true for some of the "designer watches". All of this is part of the hazard to having foreign production lines. This is nothing new. In the 1920s the Waterman Pen company decided to send their model 42 pens to Italy to get hand-engraved gold-filled shells put on them. The artisans there produced 2 pens for every 1 they shipped back to Waterman in New York. They have all the right stamps and markings, and are impossible to tell from the legitimate item.
cap off cap towards camera.jpg

I got in touch with PM and they don't have facilities to sell outside the USA.
So I reckon you may have a ringer or just another dodgy dealer.

Dodgy dealer would be right The only thing dodgier than a chinese tool maker would have to be an indonesian agent.

A few years ago I was in Singapore at the local Harley davidson dealer Buying a few bits.When this shady looking character and his mate approached me. He introduced himself and his mate, gave me a business card which had the HD logo on it, but the address was clearly Indonesia.

He then asked if I was an Aussie,, I cautiously agreed that I was, he came straight at it and asked if I would like to buy a cheap late model Harley, I said no, he asked why not. I replied that the bikes sold here did not comply with Australian ADR. Straight away he said no problem we have bikes with Aussie ADR certificate and Aussie VIN.

I asked him how they did this and he freely admitted that all their bikes had been stolen in Australia, dismantled and shipped to Indonesia, where they are re-assembled into new bikes, using a mixture of parts so they do look like the original bike.

I again said no and walked away. so now we know where all the bikes that get stolen go to.

^^^Unreal. I find it sad that there are so many crooks out there. They do seem to prevalent in Asia. ^^^

My wife is Viet, we travel to Vietnam often. Well, did, lol. Lot's of counterfeiting is/was done there. A few pics in BIL's machine/casting shop.

Attachments

• BIL shop 2.jpg
    BIL shop 2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 124
  • BIL shop 3.jpg
    BIL shop 3.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 113
  • BIL shop 4.jpg
    BIL shop 4.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 111
Back