I don’t get it.

What a shame.
Reminds me that the lowest paint bidder is not always the best decision.
It may in fact be baby blue, but sometimes grey (under certain lighting) will look baby blue or even lavender.

A perfectly working 10EE 1951 TUBE BASED lathe with 3 and 4 jaw chucks went for 10K canuckistan dollars today. I dare say it would have sold for double that in SF or LA.

I wonder if the 3 coats of krylon on the bed-ways will affect the accuracy.

Poor man's Turcite???

Very, very poor!

It's even got krylon on the leadscrew, feed rod and tailstock quill.

I suppose the krylon on the leadscrew might be pretty easy to strip off.

Hopefully he didn't use any kind of 2 part paint. If it's just krylon, it'll probably come off with some carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner.

A Monarch 10 EE in excellent, restored condition could easily be north or $20K. But that one looks like it hiding a lot of sins...
To who? I see them in shops but I dont see them being used.
They have a following and in there day they were prized but now it's hard to find manual machinist

To who? I see them in shops but I dont see them being used.
They have a following and in there day they were prized but now it's hard to find manual machinist
Hey, The next time you see one in good condition and not being used, Please let me know and I'll be happy to remove the obsolete encumbrance at no charge!

To answer your question, there are still plenty of manual machinists out there, us hobbyists for one and some do prototype, repair or other one-off type work. Monarch is in business and apparently still rebuilds the 10EE, though I've heard such a service costs north of $50K...

Yes there is some talent here on the forum.
It is one thing to be able to cut material it is another to be able to do it in a timely way, accurately that generates profit.
Now imagine you have to make six good, identical pieces in about 2-3 hours.
Next is 2 more pieces of a different material, complex and you have one hour each.
Whew here is lunch, thank god because the boss just gave you a print for a rush job out of yet another material 30 peices...cake except that .001 tolerance on the bore and the 3/8 of an inch of fine thread on the o.d., tells you should be finished today for shipment today and there is just enough special stock to make 30.
That was today....remember your machine is a 50 year old whatever and hasn't been rebuilt...ever....you only can use what tooling the shop owns
This is why CNC is king and most EE's are sitting, waiting for a special job.

Back