I don't know what I'm doing, but I have my first machine!

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
A lot to do to... most of it unknown... but I got the hard part done... Getting it in the shop and on the stand!

Attachments

• 21-11-12 07-38-45 6232.jpg
    21-11-12 07-38-45 6232.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 264
Congratulations man, Cheers!

I'm not too far behind you, I think my mill is still in Taiwan though.

Awesome! That is a very nice "starter" machine. Glad to see you got the TV version since it is easier to convert to CNC should you decide to do that down the road.

My first machine was a Jet 9x49 used mill I got in a trade. Soon found that I really also needed a lathe to do most things I wanted to. Then the proverbial rabbit hole opened up and every new project required another accessory, tool or measuring device. Have fun, be safe.

Received my first mill, a PM-833TV last Monday and don't even have the grease cleaned off or the power cord built yet. Liked the idea of a Taiwan made machine. QMT/Precision-Matthews was great to work with. Hopefully I'll have a chance to test it this week.

If I understand this and machining is new to you, I highly recommend Harold Hall's book Milling for Home Machinists as a great intro with useful projects to build as you learn.
In the meantime, figure out which lathe you want, because that's the next thing.

Why didn't you get something with some size..? :grin:

In that case, I also recommend Harold's book Metal Lathe for the Home Machinist. In fact, take a spin through his website when you get a chance. Very clever fellow, and very nice the time or two I emailed him with a question.

Back