I don't need this, but....

.LMS.

Lathe Noob
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Local guy who seems to sell a lot of woodworking and machine tools. I know I should buy a PM728-VT, but for under a grand....

Go for it or save my pennies for the Precision Matthews?

Last edited:
You will probably get tired of that round column very quickly. If you can afford the PM I would go that way, the lower cost unit will frustrate you a lot more. However, if you are years from being able to afford the PM (or other machine with Z axis gibs), then the Jet will get you started, and you can probably sell it for what you pay for it down the road.

I used to have one of these some years back. I could never get the column to stop moving. Taking a medium size cut and the column would twist no matter how tight I tried to get it. Sold it pretty quick and got a good used Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that the spindle taper is MT3. Not the best choice out there. From the size of the table, the apparently small diameter of the column, etc., i'd say it's even smaller than an RF-25 or -20. Here's a thread about such a mill:

Thanks guys. I'll hold off and go for the PM when I have the $$.

I bought one that's just like that 2 weeks ago without tooling , a few homemade handles . Listed on Marketplace for $150 , I was the first caller , gave him $170 and my cell in case he ever get more machines to sell . I bought it to use more as a drill then mill , I thought I got a great deal but still think it's only worth under $400 because it's table is very small , I think more suited for drilling a few holes .

Back