I don't understand metal bending.

I would do a "search" on test pieces if the precession needed was tight and really mattered. Use a formula or just plain guess. Try it, measure the difference, move your lines in the right direction by an amount based on the error and try again. You will quickly get to the precision you need and you will also discover other factors that affect how close you can get to the desired result (how precisely can you position and clamp the piece being bent?). I imagine that even the press break itself can have an effect on the bends. The formulas are based on a perfect bend and a given machine may introduce small error. How tight is the thickness of your material controlled? etc.

It is going to come down to some level of trial and error anyway, so don't sweat the initial calculation.

Just how I'd approach the problem with my own equipment.

It was a chore, and it will work, there was a problem with the foot mounting, the plate was bent in to drill, and bolt up with a 10* angle to keep the mount vertical with the deck. The part to bend in was too short to bridge the bender "V". That part kinda threw everything else out of wack, but it is bent, and mounted to the aluminum block that will be welded in. I still have to gusset the box for strength, and do a good clean up on it.

What is it going to hold?

A green stick is a 34' fiberglass pole for tuna fishing. I'm on my phone icing my feet, so I can't post a picture right now.
Here it is, and there is a breakaway system in place too.
1663220781778.png

Last edited:

This Old Tony created a good video on this topic.

Rick “who, as a steel fabrication drafter back in the day, always dimensioned to inside surfaces” Denney

Back