I doubt I will ever want for swing or length between centers again...

Nice hunk you got there- you're going into the watch repair business I take it.. lol
Mark S.

It's perfect for "extreme gunsmithing"...

B1C98EF5-5D81-4C37-8D5D-CEB7328AE862_zps9tbnshgo.jpeg

Very nice. I have a 15x60 Enterprise (MK - India) probably a thousand pounds lighter than the Ajax. I use the CXA and it is a good fit (you can get 1" holders for it on e-bay). My machine is also 5HP, it run it off a 5HP RPC. The machine has a 2 speed motor and I usually operate it on the lower speed (quieter) - it is not happy starting on the 5 HP motor setting if I have a good sized chuck or if I am also in a high gear. However, my 5 HP air compressor has no problem. Getting the 7.5 HP RPC should set you up very well.

Let us know how it works out. David

I hear you on the "This machine is much closer to what I'm used to using" most of the lathes I ran in the 70's had cranks on the tail stock to move them. Especially when I worked for Washington Iron Works their idea of a small lathe was a Gisholt #3 turret lathe. The shafting lathes were all longer then 8' and one of the largest lathe they had made in the foundry back when they still had overhead belts.

Jim

That punt gun is really king Kong's belt buckle gun. Very nice lathe I to would keep the coolant set up. It's not hard to build a jib crane to move the chucks around. I used an accuator with 325 lb push or pull to build one on a rolling shelf unit. I built it to move the vises and rotary table for my mills . With the bulging disc I have lifting can be dangerous to my well being. I'm still not convinced that I didn't cause it lifting from sitting in my wheelchair. I'd pick up whatever I could get my hands on and move it with my chair. Steel I beams , box channel , magnetic drill press. All very heavy extended out in front of your knees using your back to lift and carry. They said no but I guess I helped them to bulging. With a bit of angle iron or box tubing and a hand wench from a boat trailer should be easy.

The RPC should be here Tuesday. I also have a CXA QCTP and a set of 3/4" indexable tool bits coming. I have to machine the backing plate for the chuck. The chuck is a 12" 3 jaw Cushman, and the bolts go in from the front. They are in the center section, not the periphery like other chucks I have used. When I machine the registration boss in the backing plate, should I leave a gap like normal? The bolts will draw on the center section where there is gap, not sure if that will distort the backing plate and throw it out of square. Any ideas on this?

The 5 hp vfd should handle the 5 hp motor without a problem. Just set it up correctly for the motor specs. They are designed for the rated hp. The nice thing is they are soft start and don't throw as much load on the the electrical service during start up. Also the ability to vary speed without changing gears is very nice. Great score on that lathe!

Back