I got free mystery tools....

Makintrax73

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Do you have friends/family give you anything that looks like it might be machinist related when they find out about your hobby? My uncle and aunt flipped a condo and the owner left a tool box. They tried to sell it for $25 (full of tools) at a garage sale with no takers. When I heard I said I'd buy it sight unseen after my uncle said he thought some were tool and die maker tools. Nothing earth shaking in the box but they said "its yours for free, we'll even drop it off!"

When I saw red starret boxes within I got pretty excited:

20231009_103752.jpg

But really it's nothing super, a rusty center punch and a "Trammel" (?? No idea what that's even for??)

20231009_103954.jpg

A "Vargus patent" tool? No idea...

20231009_103906.jpg

A decent Mitutoyu angle/center finder and some slitting saw blades. Not bad with some clean up:

20231009_103848.jpg

Other than that it was random hand tools, scap metal, nails and screws. Not as good as winning the lottery but still made my day.

It looks like the Vargus is a deburring tool. Should have been obvious I have a Noga that's similar!

I'm wondering if the previous owner might have been in the military or worked in the aircraft industry. The pliers sitting on the right side of the top are safety wire pliers. They are commonly used to lock fasteners on military aircraft. One of the guys I worked with spent 6 years in the Marine Corps as an aviation mechanic. He said he wore out 2 pairs repairing C130's during his time in Vietnam.

I'm wondering if the previous owner might have been in the military or worked in the aircraft industry. The pliers sitting on the right side of the top are safety wire pliers. They are commonly used to lock fasteners on military aircraft. One of the guys I worked with spent 6 years in the Marine Corps as an aviation mechanic. He said he wore out 2 pairs repairing C130's during his time in Vietnam.
Also used extensively on race cars, karts and motorcycles. Have drilled out many a fastener for safety wire but only wore out one set of pliers.

John

I used to be an airframe/aeroengine tech in the military and other than the safety wire/lockwire pliers, I don’t see any other tools that would indicate aerospace use.

Probably used as safety wire pliers for racing bodies regulations or similar.

Can’t complain about free. Considering what you got, I think thats a great score for the lockwire pliers alone….

The Vargus deburring tool uses style "B" blades.

Is that one of those hammer less center punches?
Anything in a red Starrett box puts you in a hit the lottery category!
A Mitutoyo combination square, the quality is as good or better than a Starrett combination square.
That looks like a winning lottery ticket to me and as GeneT45 said I would Have Bought It!

Back