I Guess I Need To Make Room For A Cnc Water Jet

Hopefully their next move is an intermediate size unit for small shops.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Of course anyone with knowledge of CNCs and hydraulic systems could theoretically build one for less. Of course that would be a lot easier if you already had one to cut out your parts... :)

I didn't realize you could do this with less than 60,000 PSI or so. Pressure washer pump in this one maybe?
Hmmmmm???? :)

PRECISELY what I thought as I watched it. I was first exposed to water jet cutting in the mid 1990s, through my father's work in rapid prototype development. (He managed a branch of one of the only companies at the time with a stereolithography machine, now known as a laser 3D printer, but had dealings with other industry processes.) In 1999, right after graduating high school, I got a will-train job in screen printing. One of the steps in that process is washing and reclaiming the screens between jobs with an industrial pressure washer. I was pretty good at it already when I had a small accident wherein I inadvertently squeezed the trigger with my right hand just as I grabbed the tip to rotate the spray pattern. It sliced right through the side of my left index finger between the first and second knuckles. Cleanest cut I've ever received. I had a moment to stare through the gap, marveling at the physics of what had just happened as only engineering types can appreciate, before the blood started to flow. It wasn't a new concept, as I mentioned, but it took on a much less abstract significance at that moment.

Anyway, probably due to that experience, as soon as I saw the thing in the video, before they even fired it up, I thought about how to adapt a pressure washer to do the job.

Coincidentally at the dealership where I work the three small pressure washers used by lot and wash techs are being upgraded to a centralized system today. I wonder what they're going to do with the old diesel units? :)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I just did a quick-and-dirty cut cost calculation, based on the cost of the abrasive. The power and water consumption should be negligible in comparison. Cutting speed varies widely, depending on material and thickness. I arbitrarily chose 1 IPM as an average figure. Abrasive consumption is ⅓ Lb/minute. Abrasive cost varies from $.30 to $.60/Lb for bulk purchases, and Wazer will sell small quantities for between $.60 and $1.10/Lb. I arbitrarily chose $.50/lb as a rough average.

Abrasive cost per inch (or minute) of cut = 1 min/inch * 0.33Lb/min * $.50/Lb = $0.165/inch -or- $0.165/minute
An object requiring 10 inches of cut or 10 minutes would cost $1.65 for abrasive; 100" or 100 minutes would cost you about $16.50

The website gives several examples of finished objects and lists the cutting times for each:
Custom knife 118 minutes = $19.47
Penny necklace 60 minutes = $9.90
Baker's rack 95 minutes = $15.68
Belt drive bicycle 168 min = $27.72
Glass art 34 min = $5.61

I have no idea how this would compare with the cost of having parts cut commercially, but that would be the obvious trade-off.

Last edited:
Time to do some experimenting. I just happen to have a 2000 PSI pressure washer pump here, and a CNC plasma setup

Abrasive cost per inch of cut = 1 min/inch * 0.33Lb/min * $.50/Lb = $0.165/inch
An object requiring 10 inches of cut would cost $1.65 for abrasive; 100" would cost you about $16.50

I wonder if the abrasive is reuseable. And how do you get it to flow into the head, venturi effect?.

All I need is another project :faint:

I wonder if the abrasive is reuseable. And how do you get it to flow into the head, venturi effect?.

All I need is another project :faint:
The FAQs at the bottom of the website recommend against reusing the abrasive, as it could cause clogs. I guess that makes sense, as the used abrasive will include swarf particles and chunks.

Back