I Hate Leveling Machines

Love the plumb bob video. But I have to ask. Doesn't the vertical pipe arrangement he's using have to be completely rigid? Maybe there's something I'm not getting my head around, but if it moves from its original quasi-perpendicular position, won't the plumb bob register differently?

Love the plumb bob video. But I have to ask. Doesn't the vertical pipe arrangement he's using have to be completely rigid? Maybe there's something I'm not getting my head around, but if it moves from its original quasi-perpendicular position, won't the plumb bob register differently?
If the pipe behaves as a spring and bends, it would make the setup even more sensitive (though more bouncy). The more the plumb bob moves as it tilts, the easier it is to see if the bed is twisted. As long as it's a spring and not a wet noodle, it'll just return to its original position once it's level again.

A lathe doesn't have to be level - it only has to be planar. You could mount it on the wall and cut good parts if it was planar.
I would agree if the lathe was in that attitude when it was first machined, and thereafter, it would have to be set to that same position to return to planar. Actually, on a wall has the gravity parallel to the ways, so a twist distort force would be minimal, or nonexistent.

Using a level is the most obvious practical way to repeat the gravity condition the casting was in when it was made. As I understand it, newly cut castings are heat treated, tapped and struck, and artificially "aged" before a final grind, but that, for me, is second hand knowledge. Actual full exposé and explanation of machine tool manufacture tends to be proprietary, though I guess there should be a whole history of patents. Maybe in a YT "How it's Made" type video, if could be found.

Very interesting is the explanation from @Bi11Hudson about how they make stuff being added to a ship keep up with the shifting ship's reference while the ship is being made. "Level of the day"! :)

As mentioned above, level is not critical but square and flat is. For most hobbyists level is a lot easier to measure than square, so that is what everyone shoots for, and it then becomes believed as necessary because that is what everyone does.
There are advantages to having a level machine since you can use a level during setup to line up up a part.

Last edited:
Practice doing squats for a week or two before hand. Your legs just might survive the leveling session. I still have to level my Nardini. It had 4 leveling bolts under the headstock and 4 under the tailstock so I have to level in Z as well as X. Best option is to have a helper working the wrench while you read the level.

Sooo, way back I operated a slant bed P&W NC lathe. Sure as heck did not "level" the ways on that thing. LOL.

Back