I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

Yeah, I don't know why, but I got it so I would have it. I guess the need it, and don't have it thinking was in my mind.

Does anyone have experience with the plastic "sacrificial" plastic gear used in the gear train, should I a little nervous about that item?

Last edited:
Mine doesn't have one. Where does it say there is one?

Nice looking lathe. I bet your combination ice/fish crushers are going to feel like you're turning toothpicks at first.

I have seen other branded machines that picture a blue plastic gear in the gear train. I asked Tom, and he said that my machine has one also, my downloaded manual is just blurry enough that I have not found which one it is.

The machines arrived at ACRA machine the Acu-Rite 203 DRO, micro carriage stop, and taper attachment are on, now to finish wrapping, and boxing for shipment. I thought I posted these pictures, but I guess not here.

Looking good! ETA?

Looks to me like your feed drive shaft has a clutch, so why would a plastic "fuse" gear be needed? Shear pins are probably part of the design as well. My theory on the plastic gear is that it replaces a steel one... and can be put in a location as a wear-in part that might otherwise require fitting/precision/cost to produce. And plastic makes a lot less noise.

Yes there is a clutch, and a shear pin, Tom said not to worry that the plastic gear is the last defense for anything catastrophic.:dunno:
Terry they are making transportation arrangements to the pier, and another week to get here on the boat.

The larger Sunmaster lathes come with a blue plastic drive gear to the gearbox, they have never been an issue that I have hear about. They are there to shear if the drive system locks up. No need to be concerned about it. I also have not heard of any wear issues, may be impregnated plastic material.

Good to hear, I've been considering getting spare parts for the cross slide, and compound, like the lead screws, gibs, and nuts, anything else to think about?

Back