I have to stop opening drawers .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Opened up one of the Vidmars that hasn't been opened in quite some time . I found a cool little piece that I'm sure has quite a bit of history behind it . I have a larger one down the basement that we have discussed on here , but this one may be special to me . It is clearly marked , Glenn L. Martin Co . I'm sure this was my Dads' tool . Most of you will recognize what it is when I can get a pic up . Old tools just seem to bring back good but sad memories .

A depth gage for a countersinking tool , most likely used in the production of war planes , It'll go on the mantle . :)

Attachments

• IMG_8209.JPG
    IMG_8209.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
Yeah, I have seen those, it seems that Schrillo was a popular brand of the aircraft stuff.

I once had a whole bunchalot of piloted countersinks, drill bit/countersink combos, and two "frames" that looked like yours. I'd heard/read that they were used to make precision depth rivet "pockets" in aircraft. I had no real use for them, AND no sentimental attachment, so (I think) I put the lot into one year's pass-around box.

I once had a whole bunchalot of piloted countersinks, drill bit/countersink combos, and two "frames" that looked like yours. I'd heard/read that they were used to make precision depth rivet "pockets" in aircraft. I had no real use for them, AND no sentimental attachment, so (I think) I put the lot into one year's pass-around box.
Yup, they are for doing flush head rivets. I have one too.

We still use those at work...

-Bear

I have a drawer full of those purchased in the late 1990's when there was a big exodus from plane building in the LA area. Mine are made by Magnavon. They're great tools. For a while I was using them on a daily basis, but lately it's more sporadic. It's a quick and easy way to get uniform depth countersinks when doing multiple holes.

I know what an aircraft rivet head looks like, how thick is the sheeting?
This used by Rosie the riveter?

Back