I lived

Wasn't me....AKA Mike

Dec 18, 2018 I had a boo boo and got the lower portion of both of my legs pinned under a rear tire of my tractor. Laid there for nearly 3 hours calling out for help. Didn't have my cell phone with me. House spouse finally came out of the house and found me and called 911. Am still recovering but am most of the way there. NEVER again. Now have my phone on a neck lanyard so if something happens I can call for help. Also, any job that can be hazardous is not done unless someone is with me.

Out here, most of the help I get lifting and moving heavy stuff is from strapping young farm boys. The good part of that is they are STRONG and can handle just about anything in my shop. The bad part is they all think they're Superman - "Aw, that's not too heavy. We can do that." (You wouldn't believe some of the hair-brained schemes some of these guys have tried and, mercifully, have lived to tell about it!}

Fortunately, my professional background involved being highly sensitive to risk avoidance, so my inclination is to over-think, instead of under-think, what can go wrong. In hindsight, we've avoided some seriously bad outcomes - in both damaged equipment and injury - employing that philosophy. The only cost: a little bit of down-time by thinking it through instead of acting. Like the saying goes, 'Better safe than sorry'. Glad you're okay.

Regards,
Terry

Out here, most of the help I get lifting and moving heavy stuff is from strapping young farm boys. The good part of that is they are STRONG and can handle just about anything in my shop. The bad part is they all think they're Superman - "Aw, that's not too heavy. We can do that." (You wouldn't believe some of the hair-brained schemes some of these guys have tried and, mercifully, have lived to tell about it!}

Fortunately, my professional background involved being highly sensitive to risk avoidance, so my inclination is to over-think, instead of under-think, what can go wrong. In hindsight, we've avoided some seriously bad outcomes - in both damaged equipment and injury - employing that philosophy. The only cost: a little bit of down-time by thinking it through instead of acting. Like the saying goes, 'Better safe than sorry'. Glad you're okay.

Regards,
Terry
Yeah, trying to get the Boys to slow down and think it through is a challenge.
When we moved here I hired a couple of the local kids. They saved my bacon and my back.
First up was an old Sprunger radial drill press, heavy old beast. I was positioning the dolly to strap it up and one of the boys grabbed it saying
"I can get this..." He didn't even make two steps. Luckily the drill press and stand landed on it's feet upright, the kid was on his back looking real confused.
I hate being a 'Safety Sally' but as the old saying goes "Better Safe than Sorry."
Canus' post sent shivers down my back.

Yeah, trying to get the Boys to slow down and think it through is a challenge.
When we moved here I hired a couple of the local kids. They saved my bacon and my back.
First up was an old Sprunger radial drill press, heavy old beast. I was positioning the dolly to strap it up and one of the boys grabbed it saying
"I can get this..." He didn't even make two steps. Luckily the drill press and stand landed on it's feet upright, the kid was on his back looking real confused.
I hate being a 'Safety Sally' but as the old saying goes "Better Safe than Sorry."
Canus' post sent shivers down my back.
Reminds me of the time one of these guys was building a barn and had a 10" steel beam stretched across posts about 16' off the ground. He had to do some grinding and welding on the end of it, so he got his son to lift him up on the skid loader while he was grinding for some who-knows-what reason. Things slipped a little, and he ended up with a nasty burn across his chest from the grinder, but other than that everything worked out fine. Could have been a lot worse. Oh, and did I mention that his son was seven years old at the time?

I knew a guy that did something similar to this , he was fine but ended up with a blue tongue . :)
Did he have on white shorts that turned to an ugly Brown and Yellow camouflage color during the incident also! o_O

Reminds me of the time one of these guys was building a barn and had a 10" steel beam stretched across posts about 16' off the ground. He had to do some grinding and welding on the end of it, so he got his son to lift him up on the skid loader while he was grinding for some who-knows-what reason. Things slipped a little, and he ended up with a nasty burn across his chest from the grinder, but other than that everything worked out fine. Could have been a lot worse. Oh, and did I mention that his son was seven years old at the time?
Never ever again. Skip, skid or front end loaders. No safety if a hydraulic line bursts not to mention the footing in a metal bucket.
Seen it too many times and had it happen to me while trying to lift a 10' snow plow with a trak-steer.

Back