I made a mold

pinkpanda3310

Registered
Registered
A friend came across an item on the net and asked if I could make one. It's a mold for sealing soldered (extended) electrical cables in hot glue. More specifically it apparently makes the soldered joint water tight so good for cabling in boats

Looks like it should work. May have to add it to my “ to-do “ list just to say I have one. Probably would be good for trailer light connections too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I imagine it'd be good for trailers too. Hot glue is probably not a good idea in engine bays so not so good for cars

Yes, I imagine it'd be good for trailers too. Hot glue is probably not a good idea in engine bays so not so good for cars
They make higher temperature hot glue but, you won't like the price of the guns or the glue sticks!

Cool, I'll check it out. See if I can improve the design. 3d printed mold must mean they are using silicon instead of hot glue...??

I actually caught up with my mate who I made this for and we did a couple test runs...
20240603_140247~2.jpg20240603_140256~2.jpg

I have "BUTT CONNECTORS" that after I crimp the wires, I can heat shrink them they also have a sealer inside to make them waterproof.

He's not a fan of crimping. I can suggest to him the solder type butt connectors. You can also get heat shrink tubing with that gel already in it. Never used any of that stuff myself though so no idea how reliable they are...?

In the past, in a very wet environment, I have covered a joint in silicon and then put heat shrink over the joint before it dried. Seemed to work well

Back