I might have scored!

The chuck works! but unfortunately that's probably all the testing for a while, have several other things to work on so this will probably be a winter project.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Brian

I'd like to make a dolly for it so I can move it around for cleaning. Anyone have a good design for an equipment dolly? There's always angle iron frame and casters. Something that could be assembled around the base and screw Jack's to lift it up on the wheels would be great.

I have always liked the idea of a pallet jack. I could see making heavy tube frames under each piece of large machinery, and getting a pallet jack rated for the heaviest one. Then whenever you needed to move equipment to a bigger shop, or rearrange when you got a new machine it would be easy.

-brino

Pallet jacks are nice, my problem is limited space, where would I put it when it's not in use. My gantry and cherry picker already get stored out in the rain. I want to build something that bolts together so it can be taken apart for storage, I've been thinking of some heavy angle to make a frame out of that bolts together and has some tabs on the outside for jack screws to raise it up for the caster units, another piece of angle with the casters that would slip under the ends and bolt to the frame, then lower it onto the casters with the jack screws. The frames could be made for each piece of equipment and the same caster setup could bolt on to all the different frames. That way you only end up with a bundle of angle to store between uses.

Pallet jacks are nice, my problem is limited space, where would I put it when it's not in use. My gantry and cherry picker already get stored out in the rain. I want to build something that bolts together so it can be taken apart for storage, I've been thinking of some heavy angle to make a frame out of that bolts together and has some tabs on the outside for jack screws to raise it up for the caster units, another piece of angle with the casters that would slip under the ends and bolt to the frame, then lower it onto the casters with the jack screws. The frames could be made for each piece of equipment and the same caster setup could bolt on to all the different frames. That way you only end up with a bundle of angle to store between uses.
Store it under a machine or a workbench, then only the handle and swivel wheel area will be in the way, and only a small amount of floor space will be taken up. It is also VERY easy to move out of the way if you need to use the space it currently occupies.

It is easy to find pallet jacks rated at 5500 pounds, which works for "most" hobby shop situations. Harbor Freight sells one rated at 5000 pounds for $260, and it is easy to get 20% off, $25% with a holiday coupon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton-pallet-jack-68760.html
Rated 4 stars, and probably just fine for one not used in commercial service.
Used pallet jacks may be available for even less money...

We travel for work and move the shop often. If I don't build a custom stand, I'll fab a tight fitting angle iron frame that lips under the machine base. I incorporate 2) 2" receiver tubes the length, or width, of the frame that are roughly 6" off the floor. We have 4) 4" swivel casters with 2" spuds 8" long welded to the mounting plates. Using a big pry bar it's easy to lift the machine 1/2" and slide the casters in the receivers.

It is quite a bit of work for only one machine but one set of casters will fit every tool enrolled in the program.

Firstram, that is close to what I am thinking, but the more I think about it the pallet jack sounds pretty good, I already have the lathe raised 7" off the ground and the grinder is 7" up on the legs of the cherry picker and looks like a good work height, I'll have to raise the mill as well. The bases can be built for each machine and stay on them so no storage issue there then everything in the shop could be built to take the pallet jack forks, I'm sure I can find a place to store it and the grand kids can ride it like a scooter... lol

If I don't build a custom stand, I'll fab a tight fitting angle iron frame that lips under the machine base. I incorporate 2) 2" receiver tubes the length, or width, of the frame that are roughly 6" off the floor. We have 4) 4" swivel casters with 2" spuds 8" long welded to the mounting plates. Using a big pry bar it's easy to lift the machine 1/2" and slide the casters in the receivers.

@Firstram , I have a picture in my head from your description.......got any real photos of this you can share to see if they match?
Thanks!
-brino

Well said Brino! (about the U=Suck)
Congrats! You have a very nice machine there.

@Firstram , I have a picture in my head from your description.......got any real photos of this you can share to see if they match?
Thanks!
-brino

Brino, I don't. I go back to work mid August, I can post a picture then.

Firstram, that is close to what I am thinking, but the more I think about it the pallet jack sounds pretty good, I already have the lathe raised 7" off the ground and the grinder is 7" up on the legs of the cherry picker and looks like a good work height, I'll have to raise the mill as well. The bases can be built for each machine and stay on them so no storage issue there then everything in the shop could be built to take the pallet jack forks, I'm sure I can find a place to store it and the grand kids can ride it like a scooter... lol

Bpimm, A pallet jack is easier/quicker, unfortunately we just don't have the room for one loading the packed trailer .

Back