I need advise about material for an upcoming project

scattermaster

Registered
Registered
My customer wants me to make a few pieces, kind of like a metal doughnut.
It's to adapt hydraulic pump mounting faces to a larger hole on a test stand mounting plate. (SAE C, or D to an E sized hole)
Dimensions are roughly 7 1/4" OD, 5" ID and 1" long for one piece and 2 pieces with a 5 1/2" ID.

Mild steel would be the best material but that's a lot of steel to have to hog out if I make them from solid steel bar.
They will accept aluminum, which would be much easier to cut.
I would rather not have to hog out solid steel round bar but I haven't been able to find hollow "tubing" or "pipe" that would fit my envelope.
Both of those have thinner walls, so a much bigger ID than I need to make.
Should I be looking at getting 1" steel plate that has been flame cut to a round OD and ID?
I need it kind of fast.
thx,
Jim

I would have them water jet cut from either material within some acceptable tolerance of finished size and then finish the OD and bore myself. I choose water jet because you don't end up with flame hardened edges. Much easier to finish machine.

You wouldn't want to use bar, you would want to use plate. There will be a lot of wastage so steel would be less costly.
Water jet would be a good idea otherwise you are in for a lot of work
-Mark

Mark is spot on. I had to make a bearing cover roughly 10" od only 1.5" thick. It was way cheaper to buy a foot of 10x1.5 aluminum than a foot of 10" bar. Several setups and rough operations on the mill but it turned out good.

I would have them flame cut from steel plate, if done by a competent supplier, there will not be an issue with a hard zone in burning mild steel.

Our scrap yard has piles of the burn outs.

These started as scrap from the pile.

About 8 bucks for 9 inch d x 1.25 thick.
b7f9898632adb3bcc7eca28b7286099b.jpg
22c61431e6bf48066caaab26822934dc.jpg
db36c8959e983827684531f1e027a2f6.jpg
af5f040e68c3c6d545265e4b65b3371d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Update.
I did the job with aluminum bar stock because it's what I could get quick. Man what an ordeal!
It took a ridiculous amount of time. In the end, I didn't charge for the time I spent hogging out the inside. I still made money and my customer was happy with the fast delivery.
THEN,
They turned around and ordered 2 more pieces from me, no rush, but to use steel this time.
I finally got a response from a water jetting company and I that's the route I took.
With the shorter amount of time it took to do the machine work, and the higher cost of material, the final cost to my customer was about the same. BUT, now they good steel pieces and will last them a long time.
I appreciate all the responses.
Jim

Back