I need an idea

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have the parts to build my slow speed diamond disc lapping machine.
I’m planning on making the box out of the aluminum sheet the components are resting on.
I love the idea of magnets and a pilot hole for the 6” discs.
The motor has these really handy built in 4 square mounting holes that I would like to mount directly to the aluminum plate.
I have a 6” aluminum disc as shown.
I really want a runout free rotation.
The table will pivot positive and negative angles, I got that.C3948641-984E-4D9F-935D-B48AA5D489C9.jpegB1180F1E-026D-428C-B52D-FD3E3B872438.jpeg7169FDED-452D-458F-9124-CF5D33E043EC.jpeg
I embrace your ideas.
Thank you, I won’t let you down.
Jeff

broach a piece of stock and turn between centers to create a long bushing
leave one end with a substantial step and turn a large washer for support of the back side.
thread one end of the bushing and use another smaller washer and a retention nut to lock it all down
concentricity will also be determined by the center bore of the diamond disc, if that is off the disc will wobble radially

Two thoughts came to mind. First is that I hope your gear motor has good bearings and not bushings. The plates take a lot of force when you sharpen stuff on it, especially at the edges, and this will stress those bearings. Second, water resistance. When grinding stuff on a diamond wheel, it helps to use a wetting agent to help the wheel cut more efficiently. You have to keep the fluid and the grinding particles that go along with it from migrating into your bearings.

I have an Accu-finish and it has a pulley/belt system to keep fluid away from the motor - good idea, I think.

I would make a few parts like kinda this...... and tap the end of the motor shaft if it doesn't aleady have threads.....

print.JPG

I agree with Mikey in that I think a seperate pulley connected to the motor with a belt would be your best setup option.

If that gearmotor/controller combination will give you the RPM that you want, put the disc on the gearmotor. If you might need to change the disc RPM (outside of the gearmotor RPM range) use a pulley system.
To protect the front bearing, I would put a felt washer (OD as big as the boss on the gear housing), oil soaked, captured between the gear housing and disc hub. Oil it once in a while and it will keep water and grit out of the bearing without much drag.

Looking forward to following the build. Nice project.

I used to facet gemstones but havnt for around 10 years.
I was seriously considering converting my facet machine into a carbide sharpener because the angles can be set for anything.
As it stands it would be best on solid round carbide bits but with a bit of thinking I believe it could hold inserts and other sizes.
The big problem is I am way too busy with house modeling and moving to even start anything like this.
It may be worth looking at a facet machine for design ideas and those diamond disks look seriously like the ones I used to use, from180 grit up to 1200 grit.

I knew I could count on you guys.
Thanks for the good ideas, I appreciate it.
I’m hanging an interior barn door today, maybe I can get started after that is finished.
Got to keep Glenda happy.

Back