I need help deciding - CBN vs Oxide for sharpening HSS lathe tooling...?

Have you ever had a wheel explode? In over 50 years in the trade, I never have, if you don't count accidents running into parts on the surface grinder, there, it was not so much explode as break.

YES! My original Sears grinder wheel went on me. Good thing all the guards were in place. And it was not a new wheel. Scared the crap out of me. I used that same grinder for years afterwards but always with trepidation.

I changed to a belt sander because it is better for tool grinding for ALL the reasons I mentioned.

Used belt sanders are not expensive in my area. I paid $40 dollars for my used delta 2x42. I have spend another $20 or so on belts. The work horse is a 36 grit ceramic. Then 80 grit AO, 300 grit AO and I have a leather strop belt for finishing the edge on a knife.

I started grinding HSS freehand with my high speed 4 inch makita grinder. Those bits didn't work too well. Next came a dunlap 6" bench grinder. Big improvement over the makita but still a struggle. Next came the delta. No comparison to the bench grinder. With no practice whatsoever I was able to grind whatever shape or angle I wanted. Having truly sharp tool bits with the correct geometry increased my skill level more than anything else that I have done.

A bench grinder has its place in a shop. But I would get a belt sander before a bench grinder.

I wouldn't prefer CBN for HSS at all. Too slow, too hot. Norton 32A (white) for general work and 32AA (purple) for cool, heavy removal. I do use CBN for carbide, though.
Hello..
CBN running hot is the opposite of everything I read and seen... If you don't mind I would like to hear more about your experience with CBN.

Used belt sanders are not expensive in my area. I paid $40 dollars for my used delta 2x42. I have spend another $20 or so on belts. The work horse is a 36 grit ceramic. Then 80 grit AO, 300 grit AO and I have a leather strop belt for finishing the edge on a knife.

I started grinding HSS freehand with my high speed 4 inch makita grinder. Those bits didn't work too well. Next came a dunlap 6" bench grinder. Big improvement over the makita but still a struggle. Next came the delta. No comparison to the bench grinder. With no practice whatsoever I was able to grind whatever shape or angle I wanted. Having truly sharp tool bits with the correct geometry increased my skill level more than anything else that I have done.

A bench grinder has its place in a shop. But I would get a belt sander before a bench grinder.
Hello sir...
Exactly what DELTA are we talking about here... Photo or Model # please, You have my attention...Thanks.

Have you ever had a wheel explode? In over 50 years in the trade, I never have, if you don't count accidents running into parts on the surface grinder, there, it was not so much explode as break.

Hello Sir..
I have never personally had a wheel break, but a few years ago on the news here in town there was a young man that was killed when a wheel fractured and penetrated his front forehead, Im guessing there were no safety guards in place like so many...

I've been using the AO wheels that came on the grinder. They work well, but my plan is to eventually replace them with CBN.

I like the idea of a belt grinder but it seems unless you spend $1000+ that is a project. Either DIY from scratch or modify an existing $300-500 machine to make it suitable. Mikey has an older Craftsman that he likes but that one seems to be a unicorn, and very hard to find in the wild.

Hello...
Would something like this not work if a CBN replaced the AO on this Grinder...? Link to grinder with a belt from Eastwood company 150.00

I would appreciate your feed back.. thanks.

I'll have to go home to see what grits my CBN wheels are, WoodTurnersWonder did the selection, one course one fine. I did not feel that it took any longer to touch up the angle I needed. My main shaping is done on a 2x48 Jet combo sander. Will had a great addition to improve the platen on his machine.

Back