I Need Help With A Jet Lathe

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need some help. I have recently acquired a Jet 1340T lathe. Internally the lathe is in great shape but it at some point it took a face plant and needs some exterior parts. The 1340T lathe is no longer supported by Jet. I need a manual and those exterior parts. I have attached a picture of the front of the lathe. I am trying to figure out who actually made this lathe. Is it configured like any other company’s lathe you are familiar with?

Most of the parts I seek should be interchangeable with other Chinese lathes. I have been watching EBay and there don’t seem to be many Chinese lathe parts that I can find. Is the some other source of used or new Chinese machine tool parts?

Thanks

Randy

1340 lathe.jpg 1340T  lathe.jpg

Well I found the manual, but I still need to figure out where to get the parts.

Randy

The pictures show to be broken.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Looks like you are missing mostly handles and the belt cover. I can tell you that part of the fun of owning a lathe is using it to repair or replace things that are broken. Most of the handles you are missing you can easily turn, drill and thread yourself. I have an old Enco that was inside of a garage that burned. It was not hot enough to damage the lathe but it did melt the plastic handles. The belt cover you may have to fabricate something for a while at least, very unsafe to run without it. I have seen on a few posts where people have formed them from sheet metal. Have fun with it.

Thanks Jimbo, I am in the process of making or repairing the parts I need. I was hoping to be able to buy a few, but things are starting to come around, I was able to TIG the belt/gear cover. It was a ***** to do, but I finally conquered it. It was kind of like Wack a Mole, I got the big crack covered and 2 more small crack would appear. I'd patch them and new ones would pop up. There must have be some hellacious stresses in that casting.

Randy

I removed the offending contactor from the lathe. Generally it looks good. I don't see any evidence of damage. The contacts weren't bad ,but I filed and cleaned them anyway. Rather than to randomly apply 120 volts and cause damage, I sure didn't see a A1 or A2. I thought I'd use some pictures. I see terminals R,S, T, 3a, bU, V, W, 4 and for those terminals not marked I added 7, U2, V2 and jumper (which connects the 2 conjoined units).
So where do I connect the 120v to see if the magnet functions and thus work? I'd have no idea of where I'd find a replacement if it doesn't work.
Thanks again
Randy

contactor 1.jpg contactor2.jpg contactor 1.jpg contactor2.jpg contactor3.jpg

Oops, this went into the wrong thead; but it is the same machine
Sorry
Randy

You say you have the manual, does it have a wiring diagram in it? If it does take a picture of it or scan in the page and send it to me. The diagram should show the connections to the contactor. If you are not familiar with these what you have is a contactor with an overload protector attached. The overload load protector acts as a circuit breaker but they have a much shorter blow curve. Regular breakers take time to react to overloads where as an overload protector can react to a sever overload load or a blocked rotor much faster thus saving the motor. There is a reset button under the contacts, red switch.

Back