I need help

NEL957

Active User
Registered
I have not been active because of life's troubles. I need to raise some money to do work on my home and property.
I am not able to do the work and it is quite expensive. I would like to post a go fund me page to help me through this ruff time in our life. I need a new roof on my home and a tree trimmed. The responses I have had to the bid process is crazy. I went to the bank to see about a loan and with what I receive in Social Security will not be sufficient. I and my wife bought our home in 1991 and if I can not get this work done I have a good chance of loosing my home. I do not think of it as begging but I am. Please help if you can.

I set up a Go-Fund-Me account if I could get any help at all.
Please help me save our home.

Nelson Collar

Have you talked to your Insurance people? There are several church groups that will make emergency repairs for homeowners in need. You may also look into a REVERSE Mortgage Clark Howard (clark.com) has made some positive comments lately. Praying that you get the help you need.

Fixit
Thank for the reply. I am going to my church Sunday but our congestion is small and most up in our years. I checked out 2nd mortgage and line of credit but my SS check is not big enough to support it and if I got either and could not keep up I risk losing everything. I am in the preverbal rock and a hard place.
Thank you
Nelson

Do NOT do a 'reverse mortgage'. They are rip offs. If you outlive the term you lose your home. Those people aren't in business out of the goodness of their hearts.

You might check with your local Habitat for Humanity and see what they offer.

I know you don’t want to hear this, but you should sell the house and get something you can afford. You are setting yourself up to have to ask for money again, say for Furnace, a/c unit or what ever else can go wrong around a house. Sell the house.....this is your best option while the economy is still good. I am sorry for being brutal on this.

Last edited:
My neighbor applied for help from the county. He got a brand new roof, siding, deck. Check your local area to see if you can get some support. There are also volunteers and places like Habitat restore that may help. If I live near by, I don't mind help with labor (I know how to do shingle roof).

Owning a house costs a lot if you don't know how to fix it. The option FIrstgear said is a very good option if it fits you. The quotes from various fixes are often times pretty ridiculous. Any surprise such as medical bill can cause big lost, and it shouldn't be a surprise for an elder. At the stage you describe, I would not take any risk. Renting is also a very good option. Many states also have public housing. I know hobby and a yard is important, but you may lose it all.

There are other options, such as renting part of your house to get money, if the area is a good for travelers.

Last edited:
I know you don’t want to hear this, but you should sell the house and get something you can afford. You are setting yourself up to have to ask for money again, say for Furnace, a/c unit or what ever else can go wrong around a house. Sell the house.....this is your best option while the economy is still good. I am sorry for being brutal on this.
This is likely the best solution. Firstgear is right, say you do raise the funds for the roof and tree, what goes next? If you can't afford to maintain the house, you can't afford the house. Purchased in 1991 you should have plenty of equity built up, sell it before you lose it.

Any trade schools in your area that could help out with the roof? It might not be the prettiest one, when done, but it should (at the very least) be up to code. ;)

You are absolutely right I do not want to hear that. I thought I would get a little bit of support and get nothing but what I have is nothing. Maybe I"ll raffle off my equipment, better yet maybe I'll just carry it to the scrapyard. I have a very nice 1988 South Bend 10K A model w/ taper attachment.
I do not half to have air condition, I do not need heat, I live in Florida But I do need a roof to be able to maintain my insurance. It is sad to hear this kind of talk. I hope you never find a rock and a hard spot.

It is nice to be sitting pretty with all your toys securely in your shops like mine are and not know what will happen tomorrow. I am 62 old years I do not cherish the idea of starting over. I will pursue other directions before I lose it all' but I will not be back here. I wish all the very best.
Nelson Collar
This is what happened to America, everyone is out for themselves and the hell with anyone else. It is a sad world we live in. Thank you all.

Back