I need some confirmation

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Do I have it correct that if I wanted to make the bends on a S/Steel strip like in the pic and I am using 0.9mm sheet, that the strip should be 150mm long,149.8mm to be exact?20210625_091044-1.jpg

Michael

I must make 2 000 of them. Don't have a bending brake so any suggestions on a idea for a homemade one, is also welcome. I am also thinking of making a die that I use on my press to bend them. I would like to bend more tgan one at a time.

It will depend on the radius of the dies. A larger radius will make the stock grow more.
Joe

It will be a very sharp bend/radius,but what that is, is hard to say.

Not to peddle another machine, but. . . For that many duplicate parts, I would want some "automation". Below is a link for a model builder's supplier. Horrible Fright has a similar brake at a much better price but rougher finish. I have one, having given up on the 30" brake that was much too big.

Edit: The described metal is "about" 0.035 inch, a size I work regularly in brass. Stainless would be "tougher", but for the 3/4 inch width, well within the capabilities of such a small brake. The shear portion might be a problem. . . My work involves cutting complex shapes by hand and then folding on the brake.

Last edited:
There are a number of factors that influence the final dimensions, thickness of the material and the radius of the bend to name two. As a rough guestimate, the material will bend around a point approximately midway between the inner and outer surface. You can calculate the actual dimensions of the flat sheet, given the final dimensions and bending parameters. SolidWorks has a sheet metal function where the finished part is drawn and the sheet then flattened. The dimensioned 2D drawing of the sheet will give the necessary information.

To determine proper dimensioning, I will lay out a part in the flat and make careful measurements from the bend line to the ends of the piece. Then I will bend and measure the actual distances, the difference giving me the corrections required.

Considering you want to make 2,000 parts, I would make a custom bending jig. It will help to ensure uniformity of parts I have made jigs for similar,albeit smaller parts.

I would cut a piece exactly 40mm long and put a bend in the center and measure each side to determine what is changing. At work we use a top die with a 094" radius. This will generally add one material thickness to each side of the corner.
Joe

Don't have a bending brake so any suggestions on a idea for a homemade one, is also welcome.

We need a bit more info to make any recommendations.

two more dimensions: sheet thickness, and length of bend.
material type will affect the strength of machine required

-brino

Draw it up in OnShape using the sheet metal feature, it'll tell you exactly where you need to be heading given your desired bend radius and K factor for the material. Achieving a bend radius below the thickness of the material is not usually wise or achievable, for what it's worth.

I made a die for a similar job:

Back