I need some input...please

MARK (LI)

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have no experience at all, but looking to learn a little about metal work and came across this Enco 109-1005..comes with vise and a few tools...any thoughts on what it is worth...and is it something to learn on?...or just not worth considering?
1679510230092.png

1679510273105.png

1679510300416.png

1679510323186.png

depends on what you want to do with it.

For me, I'd pass. Most of those mill/lathe combo units don't get very good reviews. General consensus seems to be they're mediocre as a lathe, poor as a mill.

Might be worth it if you got it cheap enough (ie: low hundreds is about all I would give), at least for a while until you "outgrow" it....general consensus is you outgrow them quickly as well.

Full disclosure: I've never owned or run one, I'm commenting from what I researched out when I was looking for my first lathe.

Last edited:
What's your budget? Space constraints? Goals in machining? (Farm, auto, or making little nicknacks?)
My gut is that these machines best considered when budget and space constraints are critical, and you're not generally looking to do anything more than brass and aluminum.

I have no experience at all, but looking to learn a little about metal work and came across this Enco 109-1005..comes with vise and a few tools...any thoughts on what it is worth...and is it something to learn on?...or just not worth considering?
View attachment 442127
View attachment 442128
View attachment 442129
View attachment 442130
I had a similar machine and it was frustrating to an extreme. Save your money for a decent lathe unless this one is around $300 (what I sold mine for).

John

Thank you for the responses...

Lack of rigidity is a big problem with those, especially the mill head portion. It could do some decent work with aluminum and occasionally brass, but
trying to cut steel workpieces it will be chattering all over the place and possibly even breaking cutting tools from all the vibration.
Also, changing setups between mill and lathe gets old REAL fast.
Even the most humble separate lathe and mini-mill would be a much better choice than one of those contraptions
-Mark
ps The Smithy is reported to be the best of that style of machine, with decent company support

Last edited:
Back