I think I am going To part out brown and sharpe 618 micromaster surface grinder

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
I bought a 618 micromaster by brown and sharpe with unseen. The machine is in good condition but needs parts that will cost more than the machine itself. I think my only way to get my money back from it is to sell the parts to other people that are in a similar position. It is the manual version and has most original parts and most are in perfect condition. Any thoughts would help.

I have the 612 Valuemaster version of that surface grinder. The Micromaster is a hydraulic actuated table version. You sure it's that or the Valuemaster version of the grinder. Also, can you provide the serial number and some pictures? Yes, I would be interested in some of the parts on your SG.
BTW, what are you needing to replace? If mine compadible to yours, I'm more than welcome to make drawings of the parts needed so you can get parts made or make the parts yourself. Ken

It is a manual micromaster 618. I think someone must have knocked into it with crane or knocked it over. The y axis screw assembly is bent. I called the people that own brown and sharpe and just for the screw it would cost $800. They're are a few other parts that are done as well. But the bulk of the machine is in excellent shape and doesn't look like it ever saw a production environment.

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

that's a higher s/n from mine, but the patent numbers are throwing me off, they quit listing patent numbers way back in the late 1960's. Need more pictures, not telling us much here. If all is damage is the cross feed screw, that's an easy fix. I made a new threaded section for mine and spliced it into the old screw to replace the worn out threaded part. In your picture no. 4 shows the shifting lever for the hydraulic version. Did someone trash out the hydraulics to the SG?

No the hydraulic version had a second lever control on the table. This is the manual version. The entire cross feed screw and all components are bent together. The head must have been knocked pretty hard. I am unsure how to fix. What would you like a pic of?

Lie to see pictures of the front of the machine, both sides, and the back of the machine. Maybe a pic or two of the damaged areas, not too close up. Ken

If it is the screw and associated parts that are bent, with no castings cracked or broken the machine can be repaired. If your not up to making the screw and nut perhaps someone would help, if not and I can see photos of what is bent I would be interested in the machine to do the repairs

There are threads describing how others straightened similarly bent lead screws. Either here or on Chaski,org. Can't remember which. All might not be lost. Keep turning over rocks, you might find a way forward.

Glenn

Thanks all for the replies. Will take more pics when I finish work today. If any of you know the link to the threads about straightening the lead screws please plots link.
Thanks for all the replies.

So the cross feed is so bent that the head is not resting on the ways. I am unable to move the table far enough to access the hex cap screws that hold it on. I do not have the manual so I don't know all the components. Not sure how to remove the cross feed screw with the positioning of the table. Any thoughts would help.
Thanks

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

Back