I think I know already, but what would you do with this 101.07301?

kadams4458

Registered
Registered
First off, if there is an ugly lathe competition coming up, I think I have a strong contender...

I just don't know what to do with this thing. If it was a horse, it would need to be put down. Without even getting in to how worn anything is, The headstock was massacred for unknown reasons, none of the gears are present, the compound slide is cracked and missing pieces, and for some reason, someone sliced the countershaft assembly apart. It's like the Josef Mengele of lathes got his hands on this thing.

I could really use some guidance here, as I'm no expert at evaluating metalworking tools. Please grab a barf bag, or a box of tissues as you see fit, and take a look at the pictures. I would love to hear opinions on what to do with this thing. I did promise to try to see if it could be saved when I acquired it, but I just don't know if it's reasonable, even as a learning experience.

Thanks folks!

2014-08-21 21.00.12.jpg 2014-08-21 20.53.27.jpg 2014-08-21 20.53.40.jpg 2014-08-21 20.53.52.jpg 2014-08-21 20.54.02.jpg 2014-08-21 20.55.38.jpg

First off, if there is an ugly lathe competition coming up, I think I have a strong contender...

I just don't know what to do with this thing. If it was a horse, it would need to be put down. Without even getting in to how worn anything is, The headstock was massacred for unknown reasons, none of the gears are present, the compound slide is cracked and missing pieces, and for some reason, someone sliced the countershaft assembly apart. It's like the Josef Mengele of lathes got his hands on this thing.

I could really use some guidance here, as I'm no expert at evaluating metalworking tools. Please grab a barf bag, or a box of tissues as you see fit, and take a look at the pictures. I would love to hear opinions on what to do with this thing. I did promise to try to see if it could be saved when I acquired it, but I just don't know if it's reasonable, even as a learning experience.

Thanks folks!

Use the parts to build something. How bad are the ways? The spindle bearings?

Use the parts to build something. How bad are the ways? The spindle bearings?

I have seen worse ways, but there is just enough wear towards the spindle end to feel with a finger. I haven't measured it yet, because I am honestly not sure how to best accomplish that. I could ballpark it with a flat piece of stock and some feeler gauges. Would that be a close enough estimate for now?

Spindle bearings are a tough one. There is obviously movement at the chuck end. Someone hacked the gears off with a grinder without removing the spindle. I have not attempted to remove, inspect, or adjust anything, but I will play with it tonight.

Alright, I played with it some more last night.

The ways don't look too bad. Using a straight edge set squarely where the headstock rests, I can't fit a .0015" feeler gauge in to the worst wear areas of the ways. I think I can work with that.

I also pulled the spindle. Some yahoo used the oil fill plug in the pulley to crank the pulley down in eleventy-billion places all over the spindle. It wasn't too difficult to remove, however, since the inside of the pulley looks like it was hogged out with a rasp in a die grinder making for a very loose fit. The bronze bearing on the chuck end looks like it was sanded "smooth" with 80 grit. Oil clearance in that bearing is on the order of a whopping .040 at least, and there are deep grooves worn in the shaft. The pulley is technically salvageable, should I find the means without a working lathe to press in and bore a new sleeve. and surprisingly the thrust bearing isn't obliterated, but there is truly nothing else in the remains of the headstock assembly worth saving.

Any thoughts? I'm not opposed to buying a complete headstock if I can find one for a reasonable price.

I dont know if it's worth trying to fix or not. But it could make a sweet set of centers

I dont know if it's worth trying to fix or not. But it could make a sweet set of centers

Well, the headstock is finished being a headstock, certainly.

My imagination must be broken today from staying up too late playing with this thing formerly known as a lathe. I'm having trouble envisioning making centers from this thing. Would you care to flesh out your vision a bit?

only bigger

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-TOOLS-40-PRECISION-BENCH-CENTER-NEW-/330598947141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf93b9945

$_57.JPG

Ah, yes. I suppose it could definitely become one of those. I will add that option to my list. Thanks, that's a great idea.

the large ones even china made are up around 1000 bucks. If you really wanted to put in some work, I suppose it could be any manner of machine tool that needs traversable table. Belt sander or grinder or even some kinda manual scraper deal. But that to me would be doing it for the joy of doing it, not cause it's needed. But it's bout ready made for centers for inspection and lay out or what ever you could find use for

I can't offer any help, so my apologies, but I have to say - I cannot possibly fathom why someone would destroy a machine tool like that. My only machine tool is a lathe virtually identical to that one, and it pains me greatly to see the shape yours is in. Whoever did that needs a few thou turned off of their face...

Back