I want to build my first engine

It almost sounds like it is trying to start and run but the drill is holding it back.

You might have mentioned it earlier but what is the displacement of this engine?

Where about are you located? You may be able to hook up with someone that has a proper starter.

It almost sounds like it is trying to start and run but the drill is holding it back.

You might have mentioned it earlier but what is the displacement of this engine?

Where about are you located? You may be able to hook up with someone that has a proper starter.

Agreed.

SW suburbs of Chicago. I know there are a couple clubs around. I'll have to see about a spinner

Yes. Much better to start a diesel without a starter. It does pop and I suggest you go on and if you have not much (or at all?) experience in starting a model diesel engine just go at it and take your time.

Set the prop so that when the piston is in TDC you want the propeller at 11 o’clock and 5 o’clock orientation approximately. Then flip smartly and follow through over the compression. Port priming only first and increase compression until you get a constant pop. Here if you overprime the port you can loose the pop (and get hydrolock also if really overprimed) but as soon as the fuel clears to suitable level it should pop again.

Then you can introduce the fuel system. Blow through the needle with a clean fueltube andfind the areas where the needle is almost closed and then are where it is very open. And adjust the needle to somewhere inbetween. Now install fuel line and choke the carb and turn a turn or two so that the fuel is sucked inside the carb. Not too much or you will flood it.

Then put a small prime on the exh port aswell and turn the engine over carefully so you are not hydrolocked. Then proceed with smart flicks and try to get it going. Increase the compression slowly and repeat the process if it starts to show signs of starting. Good luck

If you are prop starting the engine most people use a "chicken stick". A piece of broomstick handle with some electrical tape wrapped on one end will work just fine. You can do it with your fingers but I wouldn't recommend it.

This may help someone else so I'll post it. I scrapped my original starter adapter and used 1/2" id, 3/4" od _one way_ bearings. This starter adapter plan means you can spin the engine but as it fires it doesn't completely overrun the drill and whack the drive rods. Cost was $7 bearings (2 bearings for strength may not be necessary) and scrap al housing 1.25" and .500" drill rod......

20240311_194808.jpg

20240311_194855.jpg

20240311_195106.jpg

Back