I was probably a bit of an ass today

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I belong to a few Facebook groups related to machining and on a group for bench-top machines someone posted a big-ass floor standing lathe for sale that definitely did not fit this group. What irritated me even more was that there was absolutely no information about the lathe other than a few pics, a location and a price. And not even pictures of tags or cast-in names...nothing. I see so many of these ads on Craigslist and FB Marketplace and and wonder WTF! How am I supposed to know if I want your crap if you don't tell me anything about your crap. So I went off on this person a little bit...no name calling...and I don't feel bad about it at all. I got a lot of crap from everyone too....probably deserved...but that's fine with me. I left the group.

Am I just a curmudgeon? Wait, don't answer that!

You can't fix stupid? I doubt the fellow would do well with the whole air conditioners to Eskimos thing. (global warming ruining that old joke?)

really, the old drill press I got last week was very poorly represented and since it was close, I sorta saw that as a potential opportunity. :)

I'm pretty much a grumpy guy, so I see no problem with cyber-slapping bonehead sellers who expect strangers to read their minds.

I'm pretty much a grumpy guy, so I see no problem with cyber-slapping bonehead sellers who expect strangers to read their minds.
Yeah I saw a "0.5hp" motor for sale on eBay, but the closeup picture of the label clearly showed that it was 5 hp. Could have gotten it cheap if I needed one. Point being, yes, sometimes bonehead sellers are an opportunity.

Yeah I saw a "0.5hp" motor for sale on eBay, but the closeup picture of the label clearly showed that it was 5 hp. Could have gotten it cheap if I needed one. Point being, yes, sometimes bonehead sellers are an opportunity.
All to often it’s a bonehead that is trying to hide or minimize a problem while asking premium price. Feigning ignorance is no reason to suffer fools. Personally that ad would have been spam to me and I hate spam.

I used to get some good deals off ebay by looking for things mislabeled, or wrong spelling, especially items that were to big to be shipped. I got several vehicles super cheap. figure you are bidding on it for parts, you cannot go wrong if it does not run. About 15 years ago, I got a great cross bed truck tool box for $10. When I went to pick it up, the guy had it in his driveway, and had his 10 year old or so kid answer the door.

I do not deal with face book, so cannot say anything about any groups there.

Breath weed hopper. If we got upset With every moron we run into, there would be time for little else. Easier said than done sometimes, but I try to just let it slide on buy. No real advantage to letting someone else's stupidity cause you stress. Mike

Back