I would like some advice on 2 lathes, and 2 band saws please.

Dhector

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A friend of mine has all this stuff for sale and I was wondering what to think about getting them. I don't need any of it, but would like the vertical band saw possibly if its a decent unit. Sorry about the pics. It was crowded where they are, some info is not legible, and I didn't take pics of the atlas serial number plate. There are 2 buckets of various reamers, woodruff key cutters, etc that are rusted. Not really anything that looked very usable anyway, maybe a good cleaning and it would be but not sure. No steady rests, live or dead centers, basically no additional tools with the lathes. He "Said" they all work, but I haven't seen them run. All are sitting in storage. Obviously there is rust. I would have to clean a lot to get them going. Any info is appreciated. Values, quality, etc. He wants 1000.00 for the 2 lathes and 2 saws combined together.
The lathes are 110 also.

IMG_20180402_120612735.jpg

Myers machine tool co. Didn't get the serial number. 4 jaw chuck. Nothing else
IMG_20180402_121101247.jpg

Atlas. 3 jaw chuck. Nothing else to go with it.
IMG_20180402_121155579.jpg

IMG_20180402_121107142.jpg

Couldn't find anything legible on this band saw except for the "serial # tag has 28-4150 and appears to have been built in Milwaukee Wis. Did find the saw blade was rusted pretty bad though :-(
IMG_20180402_121747260_HDR.jpg

This is for sale too but I really didn't think I needed this too. It looks cool, but don't know anything about it. Any input on these?
IMG_20180402_121706497.jpg

IMG_20180402_121702560.jpg

This is for sale too but doesn't fit my needs(currently anyway)
IMG_20180402_120655577.jpg

IMG_20180402_121833612_HDR.jpg

Lathes are old without quick change gears not very valuable IMO horizontal bandsaw looks to be a larger commercial unit made in usa could be worth $500 if cleaned up. slip roller and brake might be worth something if cleaned up. Vertical bandsaw looks like a woodworking delta style maybe worth $50 in the condition its in. However if u don't know anything about the equipment I would save your money. $1000 is way too much for the condition its in.

Saying a lathe "works" doesn't say much. I guess you could take that to mean the spindle isn't rusted solid.
Hard to put a price on these but I also think 1K is a bit high-
The Ramco saw might be a good buy along with the roll/brake, take a closer look, try to get an idea how much fixing you would be in for
Maybe 500-600 for all..?

Last edited:
Why do you want a vertical bandsaw? Note that metalworking and woodworking bandsaws have different speeds in blade feet per minute so it won’t translate well for wood.

I would pass on the whole lot, as notes the Ramco is the only thing worth having, i sold a similar saw for $300 after i rebuilt it.

Ryan

Saying a lathe "works" doesn't say much. I guess you could take that to mean the spindle isn't rusted solid.
Hard to put a price on these but I also think 1K is a bit high-
The Ramco saw might be a good buy along with the roll/brake, take a closer look, try to get an idea how much fixing you would be in for
Maybe 500-600 for all..?
I agree saying a lathe works doesn't really mean much. I just didn't have an opportunity to run them. Not that I would have, if I could, they had that "sat for a long time "break" when trying to move anything. Hope that makes sense. Once the cross slide handle is turned, it "breaks" free. Same with all dials.

Whyhy do you want a vertical bandsaw? Note that metalworking and woodworking bandsaws have different speeds in blade feet per minute so it won’t translate well for wood.

I would pass on the whole lot, as notes the Ramco is the only thing worth having, i sold a similar saw for $300 after i rebuilt it.

Ryan

I'd like a metal band saw as I have used
my tiny horizontal saws as verticals. Not the best situation but a vertical metal band saw could come in usefully from my little experience with the hobby. He said it was a metal vertical band saw but I don't know. The only thing about the ramco is I am worrried the coolant pump, froze. Starting to think I need none of it but wanted some edjucated opinions and I thank all of you.

I wouldn't let a bad pump stop you from buying the Ramco, I would look in the gearbox though if possible, make sure the gears are ok

The flat belt lathe is a restoration project for someone that just likes old machines. The Atlas doesn't look all that rusty, just dirty. So, if
you're looking for a lathe, it might be OK. But, with no tooling, you'd need to get it really cheap, and you'd still have to take it apart and go through it. What type of machines are you really interested in? Buying a bunch of old tools just because a friend offered them to you may not be
the best way to get started.

If you could check to see if the verticle band saw is complete and you can pick it up cheap, like really cheap I'd go for that. Like you I have a small 4x6 HF horizontal bandsaw that I used vertical most of the time. I believe the vertical is a 14". Delta, Rockwell and then the Chinese all knocked it off and you can get parts and blades cheap. Most times they are wood and that's like 3,000ft per min, where metal needs to be around 100 to 200 ft per minute. Way slower. I picked up a HFT 14" verticle (looks identical) . for $50 and gutted it and put a jackshaft on it to drop it down. It gets used almost everyday and once set up properly is very accurate and way more safe than the horizontal. The rest looks like trouble to me, even the Ramco. Seen to many of those and Carolina's that were used and abused and need new gearbox bearings and takeup wheel bushings.
Just my 2c, YMMV.

Back