I would like some advice on 2 lathes, and 2 band saws please.

REAL friend would say give me a couple hundred and help moving and fixing because he's a friend. Some of the Milwaukee delta saws have two speed gear boxes for wood and metal.

That Bewo is a cold saw, they're nice to have in a production environment. Of questionable value to a hobbyist. Could be worth some money if working.

The Delta bandsaw came in two basic flavors, wood only and wood/metal which has a built-in reduction gear. I can't tell from the pictures which it is. As you would expect the wood/metal version is more desirable. Many parts are shared between the two versions, blades are consumables. The older Delta saws like that are better constructed and more rigid than the China knockoffs. If the price was right I would not hesitate to buy it and restore. If it's a wood only replacing all the bearings and tires would run about $100 in parts. The wood/metal version has a few more bearings so figure about $150. Check the wheels, table trunnions and upper and lower castings for cracks. That saw has the very desirable cast iron base. The lower blade cover appears to be missing, look for that if you decide to buy. In 1983 the wood/metal saw sold for about $1500 with steel base and motor, (the cast iron base was already discontinued) that would be about $3,788 in today's dollar accounting for inflation.

The flat belt lathe is a restoration project for someone that just likes old machines. The Atlas doesn't look all that rusty, just dirty. So, if
you're looking for a lathe, it might be OK. But, with no tooling, you'd need to get it really cheap, and you'd still have to take it apart and go through it. What type of machines are you really interested in? Buying a bunch of old tools just because a friend offered them to you may not be
the best way to get started.

I'm not really looking for a machine, they just popped up. I have what I consider a really good lathe already. He had a heart attack and can't work now so he ask me about them. Didn't know(or figure) they were a diamond in the rough but thought I'd ask you guys.

REAL friend would say give me a couple hundred and help moving and fixing because he's a friend. Some of the Milwaukee delta saws have two speed gear boxes for wood and metal.

I should have have stated it this way friend/ acquaintance. Not close, but not strangers either.

That Bewo is a cold saw, they're nice to have in a production environment. Of questionable value to a hobbyist. Could be worth some money if working.

I wasn't really looking at that saw too much. He said it was for precision cuts. Is that correct? It had what looked like a wood saw blade on it which I thought was odd. What is it, the equivalent of a wood chop saw for metal?

I wasn't really looking at that saw too much. He said it was for precision cuts. Is that correct? It had what looked like a wood saw blade on it which I thought was odd. What is it, the equivalent of a wood chop saw for metal?

It's a precision metal cutting saw. I made my bones running a Brobo version, cutting +/-.005 and better. Eliminates the need for milling parts to length. The blades are expensive.

Back