ID VFD and check condition

Looking good! I would say it works.

The input current could go as high as about 25 amps, so at a minimum I would use #12 stranded wire for the input side.

The output current is limited to about 10 amps so #16 stranded should be fine.

Looking good! I would say it works.

The input current could go as high as about 25 amps, so at a minimum I would use #12 stranded wire for the input side.

The output current is limited to about 10 amps so #16 stranded should be fine.

Will do. Another thing I noticed and maybe this is normal. The VFD is rated at 50 hz. I set the three parameters to 60hz and RPM to 1720. When the motor is running at 60hz the RPM's are over 2000, if I back the hz to 50 the motor runs at 1720. Should I run the VFD at 60hz and adjust the top RPM's lower? Also, should I set the belt drive on my mill to the fastest pulley setting and use the VFD to control speed or just set the VFD to the correct RPM's and adjust the mill speed with the pulleys. I want to preserve my motor.

There should be a Base Frequency parameter setting, you would set that to 60 Hz, I think that's the problem.

I would not run the motor for extended periods at less then 30 Hz, make your large speed changes with the pulleys then use the VFD to fine tune the speed. This will keep the machine torque in a usable range.

I run mine between 30 and 70 Hz for the most part. For light power tapping and reaming, I will set it lower.

There should be a Base Frequency parameter setting, you would set that to 60 Hz, I think that's the problem.

I would not run the motor for extended periods at less then 30 Hz, make your large speed changes with the pulleys then use the VFD to fine tune the speed. This will keep the machine torque in a usable range.

I run mine between 30 and 70 Hz for the most part. For light power tapping and reaming, I will set it lower.

OK thanks, I'll check the base frequency setting.

I have the base frequency set to 60hz, but the RPM's still show fast when running at 60hz. If I back it down to 50hz it runs the proper rpm's. I set the rpm's lower at 50hz to get the rpm's correct at 60hz, if that makes sense. Not sure why it is doing this. Of course I have no other way of checking the true rpm's, I am just going off what the VFD is telling me. There is a setting called inverter frequency standard, PD176 that is set at factory for 50hz. It can not be changed. I wonder if I just need to get a 60hz VFD?

Last edited:
Answered my own question. I finally found an answer on line. You are suppose to set PD144 to the RPM's your motor will run at 50hz to get the correct RPM's at 60hz, so mine is set right. Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

I have three of these VFDs. 2 on my mill. One on the spindle and one on the vertical motor. The third one is for the lathe, but it is on the todo-list.
It has been used to test several 3-phase motors.

I have had these VFD for about 3 years, and never had a problem. I run them from 10 - 50 Hz and 5Hz for the jog function.
The torque at 5 Hz is not very high, but I usee them all the time with 10Hz for tapping.
I normally run them from 20Hz to 50Hz for speed control for heavier use.

I will have to mount the third one on the lathe some day...

Kai

P1030058.JPG

I have the base frequency set to 60hz, but the RPM's still show fast when running at 60hz. If I back it down to 50hz it runs the proper rpm's. I set the rpm's lower at 50hz to get the rpm's correct at 60hz, if that makes sense. Not sure why it is doing this. Of course I have no other way of checking the true rpm's, I am just going off what the VFD is telling me. There is a setting called inverter frequency standard, PD176 that is set at factory for 50hz. It can not be changed. I wonder if I just need to get a 60hz VFD?

I installed one of these same VFDs on a customer drill press last weekend. I noticed the same thing, I used my tach to check the motor RPM and it was close to the nameplate speed, but the display showed a different value. There is another parameter that allows you to change the display value, but I can't remember what it is. I did not have time to do much playing with it. I had a lot of trouble getting it set up to run at all, the far right hand digit on the display was almost hidden and I finally realized I had to look at it at an angle to see it.

The bottom line is that I would not trust the display RPM.

If there's no encoder on the motor the VFD cannot know the actual motor speed. It's just estimating based on some assumptions about motor slip. There ought to be a way to calibrate it but I would not be surprised if there isn't. Even if you can calibrate it, it's going to be approximate.

Look at the parameters PD143 - Motor Pole Number and PD144 - Rated Motor Revolution. In the manual it says that PD144 should be RPM at 50Hz.
I suspect that PD144 is RPM at the frequency set in parameter PD004 - Base Frequency, with a fully loaded motor.

I will test this when I can access the VFD.

Kai

Sorry, didn' read all the posts :)

Last edited:
Back