Ideas for a building a Romex stripper

tbone8

Registered
Registered
Am tearing down a house and pulling all the old Romex out. Has a lot of copper plumbing including a lot of 4" copper vent and drain pipe! Anyway, read that you get about 3x scrap price if it is stripped, maybe a good winter project. Thought about fabbing a stripper with the parts from an old band saw, primarily the motor and pullies. Thought about using some 1" round bar to make some rollers that feed to a pair of rotating pipe cutter inserts that would cut the outer wrap and slit both the conductors wrap so it all separates easily. Could make it a 2 step process feeding it to slit the wrap then feed individual conductors. Lots of smart folks here so interested to see what others have done. Was not too impressed with what I found on the utube...

my brother has a device similar to what you are describing, it uses a drill for advancing the wire as the pipecutter wheel slits the insulation

my brother has a device similar to what you are describing, it uses a drill for advancing the wire as the pipecutter wheel slits the insulation
You got any pics? Sounds pert near what I had in mind.

Fire is the preferred stripping method in these parts. But making a tool could be fun.

I made a jig to strip 12 gauge building wire by drilling a hole in a block of wood and hammering a utility knife blade into it so that it just pierced into the hole. all you had do was pass the wire through the hole. It worked great for scraps. but for a whole house full you'd want something powered,

Fire is the preferred stripping method in these parts. But making a tool could be fun.
That was my first thought but evidently, top dollar comes from shinny copper...

my brother doesn't have the stripper at home, but here is the design

1625106528051.png

Same in metro Atlanta. As a kid we would dip the burned wire in red mud to color it better.

Back