ideas for Inexpensive rust preventative for raw cast iron

Cheap...mix 1 part whatever motor oil you have handy to 10 to 15 parts solvent in a spray bottle.

Spray it on to fully coat, solvent dries leaving oil film.

It is how we packed cam and crankshaft back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
i think this should work for my application thanks

Brakes? Why wouldn’t you paint all the non machined surfaces (ie rough) with hi temp paint?
If nothing else dry film. Not meant as a rust preventative but definitely resists it, it’s high temp and very very thin as opposed to paint.

As for VCI, I bought this lifetime supply and have been wrapping everything in it (oiled or not) and lining all my metrology etc cases…

Anti Rust VCI Paper Roll - 12 in x 200 yd - 35# Gauge - Cortec VpCI-146 Rust Inhibitor VCI Kraft Paper for Metal Protection, Brown https://a.co/d/gHosKhY

And BTW, the HUGE disc brake axles for MRAP’s were in a conex container for like 6-8 years were dry filmed with a thin oil paper ‘stencil pattern’ that went over the hub mounting faces (cut out for wheel lug nut studs) and rotor (donut of paper).
The paper was stuck on there pretty good but did peal off and cleaned fine with brake clean… never seen one rusty. The edge and vented rotor parts were dry filmed or some sort of look alike high temp.
Military LOVES dry film so I assume that’s what it was.
IMG_4273.jpeg

Last edited:
When I change oil in my vehicles or lawn equipment (MOBIL1), I drain the last little bit into a jug ... when I grease the same equipment (RED'n'TACKY), I scrape the last of the grease from the tube. Mix them together and use the mixture when it has the consistency of light honey. Works great on machinery, and when thinned a bit more, makes an excellent gun oil.

What about a light coat of rust converting primer? That would burn off after a few stops.

When I change oil in my vehicles or lawn equipment (MOBIL1), I drain the last little bit into a jug ... when I grease the same equipment (RED'n'TACKY), I scrape the last of the grease from the tube. Mix them together and use the mixture when it has the consistency of light honey. Works great on machinery, and when thinned a bit more, makes an excellent gun oil.
Just an fyi: used moror oil is a known carcinogenic…

Back