Ideas for Quill Stop for PM932/940 mills with power downfeed

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I am wanting to make a dedicated quill stop for my PM932M-PDF mill and was wondering if anyone has already done so. I see that darkzero has made one for his PM45 PDF mill but I want to try and keep the stop inline with the quill. There is already a hole in the bottom of the headstock directly in-line with the quill and another hole directly below in the quill collar which is for the non PDF models. I was thinking of something similar to what is found on a Bridgeport. I already have a 1/2-20 threaded rod, a Morton quick-adjust quill stop and a clamp style quill stop for a Bridgeport so I figure I will try and use these parts. I am wanting to know if anyone else has made one and if you can post pics of it it would be greatly appreciated or post your thoughts or ideas. I also see that Stefan Gotteswinter has made a quill stop for his RF45 mill but I don't think I want go this route. If I did though, he did mention that it did tighten up the quill a bit. What are your thoughts?
I am aware that the handwheel graduated depth collar can be used as a depth stop but I have heard that it is not recommended to be used this way.
Here is a link to Stefan's quill stop

popcorn.gif

You might find this interesting.

I'm probably going to do something very similar when i install the dro in my 940-PDF.

Yes I mentioned Stefan’s quill stop. He states that it removed some of the twist from the quill but even so I’m not sure I want to go this route although I can see a dial indicator being more accurate than the threaded rod but then again I have a factory equipped quill DRO.
You might find this interesting.

I'm probably going to do something very similar when i install the dro in my 940-PDF.

He's since changed it, no more dial indicator.

I can see a dial indicator being more accurate than the threaded rod

Stefan's stop is quick & easy to use it looks like. I made mine before that video was released, I based mine of using a Morton quick release for a BP. I liked the threaded rod idea for fine adjustment & on the fly, it has been very handy for me for things like countersinking multiple holes.

Also with the threaded rod, although I'm using the Morton, I also use one of those quick clamps too. I use it for when I want to prevent the quill from retracting all the way. Comes in handy for me saving time for certain repetitive operations.

My PM45 did not come with a factory quill DRO. Since I already mounted my Mitu in the front I decided to put my stop off to the side like a DP. Plus I didn't want to cut a slot in my face plate & didn't want the whole assy to stick out forward much, that was the idea anyway. I didn't like the bar I made that connects to the stop, thought it would get in the way a lot but it really hasn't much for me. I've learned to live with it plus I use it to attach other things to now.

20200613_172633.jpg
20200613_172614.jpg
20200613_192445.jpg

Very nice darkzero. What does the knurled set screw function as? . C
Stefan's stop is quick & easy to use it looks like. I made mine before that video was released, I based mine of using a Morton quick release for a BP. I liked the threaded rod idea for fine adjustment & on the fly, it has been very handy for me for things like countersinking multiple holes.

Also with the threaded rod, although I'm using the Morton, I also use one of those quick clamps too. I use it for when I want to prevent the quill from retracting all the way. Comes in handy for me saving time for certain repetitive operations.

My PM45 did not come with a factory quill DRO. Since I already mounted my Mitu in the front I decided to put my stop off to the side like a DP. Plus I didn't want to cut a slot in my face plate & didn't want the whole assy to stick out forward much, that was the idea anyway. I didn't like the bar I made that connects to the stop, thought it would get in the way a lot but it really hasn't much for me. I've learned to live with it plus I use it to attach other things to now.

View attachment 333503View attachment 333504View attachment 333505

Very nice darkzero. What does the knurled set screw function as? . C

That was my simple "plan b" solution to "plan a" that didn't work out quite as I hoped. Post 20

I'm thinking about adding another hole further outward for a chip shield. Low on my project list though.

I’ve got the cover off and have been doing some playing around with different setups. It appears as though there will not be enough travel for the 1/2”-20 threaded rod and quick release. I have been also mocking up a similar setup to what Stefan did except using a 1/2” diameter linear shaft with a bronze bushing. The hole in the headstock is 20MM Which is 2MM larger than the hole in Stefan’s headstock. Also the bore is rough and size is inconsistent. I’d like to go 20MM but there will be clearance issues again at the top of the travel. I’m also thinking what would be the best method to mount the shaft to the quill collar. I want to clean out the pocket like you did and make a steel insert to go in there and maybe press the shaft into it. What do you think about pressing it in or threading it? Which will be stiffer and most likely to remain parallel to the quill travel?

D19F8365-6699-4DB4-8F4A-BD4886BC3F50.jpeg

@9t8z28 I have PM932M and I'm looking to do the same thing.

What's the progress or your final solution?

Back