Identify these milling cutters?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I got a bunch of tooling with the little horizontal mill I just got. I have not been able to identify the use for two of the cutters, any ideas?
They are a mirror image of each other.

weird cutters.jpg

Just a guess, maybe for milling some sort of trimwork? I would think they are probably custom made for a particular job...

-Bear

Strange - they don't have any sharp looking edges, nor any way to attach inserts. A work in progress?

Ok, so a mystery then. The only other answer I had was the same, probably custom tooling.

I was hoping with the larger audience here maybe someone might have recognized their use from something that they had done. I guess just one thing to do, run them and see if the result gives any better ideas as to their purpose or at least leaves an aesthetically pleasing design.

Strange - they don't have any sharp looking edges, nor any way to attach inserts. A work in progress?

HSS so no inserts and they may not look it, but they are sharp. The upper edge is sharp on the left hand cutter, the lower edge on the right hand side.

It looks to me (by just looking at the photos posted -- I could be wrong) that the convex parts of the tools are left rough, and the concave features between them look sharpened and relieved. If so, then you are looking at a female form tool, for making features on your work. What the shapes might be used for, I have no idea...

I forgot to look when I was at the shop today. I have a similar one that I found amungst me fathers stuff after he passed. It was in about a dozen items that were still packed in cosmoline, and the wax type paper, I assume he got it all from military surplus back in the 60's. Most of the items were gun parts, but also had a small 4 finger parts picker upper, and a Snap on 9/32" drive socket wrench (Yes, 9/32"). Since I opened up the cutter a few years ago, I have assumed it was for something common in the military that they may have been required to make in the field.

I have also wondered if it could be for a wood shaper, perhaps to make the male side of a thick tung and groove board.

Drawer lock bit for a wood shaper???

Could be special form cutters. I have seen cutters from the USSR have that same not sharp look, but were new.

Do any of the edges cut? Are they HSS? If so, you can use them for junk work.

Sorry I lost track of this post. Interesting I didn't think about the possibility of wood. I suppose with the fairly unskilled work small mills were used for and being wartime it could make sense that they might use some in the same shop for wood finishing and others for metal. Like a shop building footlockers for the military.

They don't take up much space, and I got plenty of other cutters with the machine, so there is no great urgency to make these go to work, mostly just curious what they were for.

Once I get things running and figure out what I'm doing I'll give them a try and see of the cut material makes the use any more obvious. I keep thinking some sort of sprocket track, but that is mostly because cutters kind of look like a sprocket, I'm pretty sure the cut part won't give the same impression.

Back