Identify this cutting (?) tool?

Lagonia

Registered
Registered
I got two boxes of these circular disks and have absolutely no clue what they are and how they are being used. This was from my late father in law's estate. He had both a lathe and mill and was good with machining parts.

IMG_0902.jpgIMG_0903.jpgIMG_0904.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0906.jpg

Some sort of large round cutting insert would be my guess.

they are circular carbide inserts, they must have a huge insert holder

We called them button inserts . They are still used for creating radii while turning . The CNCs have put a hurting on the usage of them but they work great on large manuals . They chatter like a room full of HS girls though . I use to finish up by turning the headstock chuck by hand and cleaning up the chatter as much as possible and then sanding it smooth .

We called them button inserts . They are still used for creating radii while turning . The CNCs have put a hurting on the usage of them but they work great on large manuals . They chatter like a room full of HS girls though . I use to finish up by turning the headstock chuck by hand and cleaning up the chatter as much as possible and then sanding it smooth .
We need another selection on the quickie emoticons “ah ah!”. Learn something new every single day here. Thanks.

Back