Identifying large India stones??

clm1899

Registered
Registered
I just bought a complete shop from the family of an old gunsmith that recently passed away. To get the few items I wanted, I had to buy everything. So of course some of the items I won’t be knowledgeable on, including these. I know what they are, I just can’t figure who made them and what they may be worth. I couldn’t find any comps on flea bay. The course stone is 6x12x1-1/16”, the medium stone is 6x10x1-1/8” and the unmarked black stone is 4x10x1-3/8”. Any help appreciated and definitely more to come. I removed 2 full pickup loads and an overloaded car load.

Attachments

• 0D2C9CDC-0FE5-4449-B104-FBB9132423AC.jpeg
    0D2C9CDC-0FE5-4449-B104-FBB9132423AC.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 25
  • CD3FBD3D-F8E4-49B9-8292-7FF485B0A32F.jpeg
    CD3FBD3D-F8E4-49B9-8292-7FF485B0A32F.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 25
  • CB702383-B520-4ED6-A168-F56E1ECF3D41.jpeg
    CB702383-B520-4ED6-A168-F56E1ECF3D41.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 25
The India stones are not uncommon although the ones you have are of a nice size. The one I would look more closely at is the black one. If it’s a hard black Arkansas stone it would be worth the most, especially in that size. It’s difficult to say from the picture though — a hard black Arkansas will be almost glass-smooth and just slightly translucent at the very corners.

I would expect the stones marked as India to be water stones. Used soaked and wetted, you work up a slurry to hone the edge and with water the grindings float to the top.

Francist and I are on the same page, at first glance I thought the black one was a nice piece of hard Akansas and my eyes got big. It's clearly marked India, so that's out. Still a really nice stone.

I doubt that they are water stones. Since they actually say "India", they are probably some kind of Carborundum - I would bet of the aluminum oxide variety.

What caught my eye was the made in the U.S. Of A.

When we stamp made in the USA on things.

Unless I’m wrong or these stones are magical

I would expect the stones marked as India to be water stones. Used soaked and wetted, you work up a slurry to hone the edge and with water the grindings float to the top.

Francist and I are on the same page, at first glance I thought the black one was a nice piece of hard Akansas and my eyes got big. It's clearly marked India, so that's out. Still a really nice stone.
Actually the black one has no markings, is glass smooth and translucent with light through edges.

Yeah, Norton stones were made in the U.S. of A., then they were made in the USA, then they were made in Mexico. They've been in Mexico for over 20 years now, so those stones are probably old enough to consider retirement options at this point. Norton has the trademark on the use of the term "India" stone.

@SLK001 is probably right, carborundum doesn't slurry. Kerosene is the right lubricant/clog eliminator for carborundum.

Actually the black one has no markings, is glass smooth and translucent with light through edges.

Sounding like hard Arkansas then. Hard Arkansas in near black and smoother than slate. It's the last stone you'd use before the strop.

Definitely not water stones, I’ve been using those for years in woodworking and these are oil stones.

Back