Identity: Cadillac lathes

visenfile

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Noob here trying to navigate brand names. Cadillac lathes pop up quite often on line. There was a hint that this is Japanese. Look good in pictures, but quite a few available at used dealers. Worthwhile at typical $5-$6K with tooling? Thanks

Could you post a link to one of the Cadilac machines? That way we might be able to identify the builder a little easier. What sizes are the purported to be? The swing over bed and the length are very telling in identifying exactly where they come from and their relative value compared to a New or gently used machine from several sources. Hope this helps you find the info your looking for a little more quickly.

Bob

RBeckett, Ok, thanks. There was one one craigslist portland that disappeared and several on ebay. They are big and described as toolroom or floor machines and heavy -2000 lbs. Grey paint. To this noob they look American, but probably clones, thick looking castings.

They sure look like Clausings to me. I also saw a few models that looked like Monarchs.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with them...

Ray

OK. Webb Machinery sells Cadillac . These are exclusively sourced from Taiwan for over 40 years , according to the website. No pricing online. Reminds me of Acer.

Interesting thread about the Cadillac lathes. I have a 17" by 33" Cadillac lathe we purchased second hand around 1978. I was told the lathes were made in Taiwan and were basically a Moriseiki clone. Looking through the net at moriseiki manual lathes i can certainly see a family resemblance. I found an 8 page flyer for the 14", 17" and 22" series. On the back cover there is a photograph with the following caption,
"The giant Cadillac facility in Anaheim, California is devoted entirely to the production of the finest QUALITY machine tools available." I would guess they are uncrating, filling the headstock with oil and prepping the machines for delivery.

I will say the machine is heavy duty, easy to operate and capable of precision work. There is an automatic oiling system in the carriage. The spindle is A1-6, 7.5 horse motor and the 17-33 weighs 4080 lbs. But just like any other used machine, how well it was taken care of makes all the difference.

Donald

some type of Webb and Whacheon link. some made in S Korea, some made in Taiwan, some were licensed under Mori Seiki to be copies. History is spotty, but i've heard they are decent.

Back