[Newbie] Idler Pivot for Speedway Drilling and Milling Machine

ajar5

Registered
Registered
I got my hands on a Speedway Series DTMACH34 03989 Drilling and Milling Machine. The idler pivot appears to be bent from welding during manufacturing, and I think this is causing rapid wear of the belts. I'd like to have the machine run smoothly so I'm thinking I should repair or replace the idler pivot. Does anyone know where parts can be found for these things? Would a replica of the part made with screws instead of welds be enough to hold up in there?

I gave it some solid whacks between a hammer and anvil, and it didn't move for me. I'm under the impression that the plate is too thick for me to bend. I'm also not able to remove the pulley without damaging the bearing, because I would need to press against it.

Might just be the pictures but i can't see where the idler pulley is bent! Is it possible the mount itself is welded at a cantid angle?

Thanks for working with me. I think we have a common understanding now. The part I'm working with is described in the manual as the "idler pivot," the plate and two shafts that the pulley is mounted on. I think the pulley itself is intact.

I tried to take the picture squarely in front of the plate, but regardless I can tell you that the "pulley shaft" is not parallel to the "lower shaft." They are joined to the plate by heavy welds, and I assume they did not apply any means of maintaining alignment. This is what I meant by "bent."

I would just make a new one from good quality steel if it where mine. The pullys should come of that shaft pretty easy.

Yeah, I'm coming around to the idea but I wanted to try here first. I'm really focused on my car and machining parts and tools in support of that hobby, and I'd like to avoid making a separate project out of the machine tools.

Making a new one might be best..if that's a no then heat and bend..if you can't remove pulley or bearings wrap with wet towel .

If you have a shop press you may be able to take the pully off and straighten it

I'm sure I can press the pulley off, but I think the bearing will be damaged because there's no space for me to support the inner race while pressing out the shaft. Ideally I would order a replacement idler pivot so the machine doesn't need to be unusable while I sort things out.

Here is a picture of angle I'm referring to:

Back