If You Love old equipment and 1,000 # anvils -In Tuscany

Cool place, I just couldn’t watch the whole video because camera work made me nauseous.

Damn that film school I went to….

I would imagine the shipping cost for an anvil would be high!

Centaur forge sells,

Atlas knife and tool
Cliff Carrol
Emerson
JHM
Kanca
Mathewson Metals
NC Tool
Scott
TFS

If a guy wanted a general use anvil say 150#. What would be a good brand to buy?

I see used anvils from time to time, the prices are out of sight.
Aside from the Chinese anvils sold by HF, etc. which may be cast iron, most modern anvils are made from cast steel. (Older anvils were made from wrought iron with a forge welded steel face,) I don't know that there is much difference metalurgically between brands. I would pick a pattern that suits your needs. The farrier's pattern as sold by NC Tool is designed for making horseshoes and is characterized by the swelled horn. It sometimes has a side protrusion for drawing retaining clips on horseshoes that may be more of an inconvenience on a general purpose anvil.

Overhead storage. The last two 777s the overhead storage was not the best.

my lady has an anvil plus the tooling. Weighs about 175# not sure if it is English or US made. She was offered over $450 6 years ago. Bet it is worth more today.
Pierre

Told once before but worth a repeat. Bill Pieh was the founder and owner of Centaur Forge. He was an avid pilot and owned a small twin engine plane which he used to fly to various blacksmithing and farrier conventions around the country.

On one occasion, he loaded five anvils into the back of the plane. En route, he hit some turbulence and the anvils shifted towards the front of the plane, upsetting the trim of the plane. He managed to recover with some fancy maneuvering, averting a nose plant into terra firma and landed at the nearest field. He never flew with cargo the wasn't securely fastened in place again.

Told once before but worth a repeat. Bill Pieh was the founder and owner of Centaur Forge. He was an avid pilot and owned a small twin engine plane which he used to fly to various blacksmithing and farrier conventions around the country.

On one occasion, he loaded five anvils into the back of the plane. En route, he hit some turbulence and the anvils shifted towards the front of the plane, upsetting the trim of the plane. He managed to recover with some fancy maneuvering, averting a nose plant into terra firma and landed at the nearest field. He never flew with cargo the wasn't securely fastened in place again.
Too close!!

I remember a plane crash out of Mather air base back in the 90‘s. The plane was a freight hauler. It was loaded wrong. The pilot wasn’t able to make it back to the airport. It crashed in an industrial area of Sacramento.

Last edited:
Yesterday we took a look at her anvil. Turns out it is a M&H Armitage Mouse Hole. Weight marking of 1.1.14 which works out to 154 #. I rubbed some oil on it as it has been sitting in the corner of the shop. These anvils are pricy!
Pierre

Back