igaging DRO on Jet 15

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
This week I finally got around to installing the igaging DRO kits I got from David H last summer. I don't feel too bad though, as my buddy told me, "Mine have been hot glued to my mill for four years!" I bought one 12" and one 24" scale.

Anyway, I wanted to put the X axis scale on the back of the table if it would fit, both to protect it and to retain the table stops on the front of the machine. With the original way cover there was no way, but without it the scale fits with about 1/16" clearance when the table is cranked all the way in... perfect! I replaced the original way cover with a 1/2" high accordian cover from McMaster, which I attached to the [new] sheet metal brackets with VHB tape. The brackets mount with the same bolts that held the old way cover. The front bracket also drives the scale slider. I had to cut the scale shorter to fit the table... I used a reciprocating table saw to do that. The scale mounts with 10-32 screws in holes tapped into the table. The cover (as are all the sheet metal parts) is 20GA steel sheet.

Dsc00070.jpg

The Y axis I didn't need to cut (though it's much longer than it needs to be). Again, 10-32 screws hold it to the base, and 10-32 screws hold the drive plate to the Y slide. I haven't figured out a good cover yet, but I'm not even sure I need one; nothing seems to accumulate on it.

Dsc00071.jpg

The readouts have magnetic backs; they're stuck to a sheet metal plate that's stuck to the electrical box cover with VHB tape. While I was at it I redid the drive for the Z DRO (a Mitsubishi quill scale salvaged from the junk pile at work) to make it stiffer, eliminating the backlash I had been experiencing.

Dsc00069.jpg

Sure is nice to not have to count revolutions and deal with the backlash in the lead screws any more! I may mount a short strip of LED lights (I have a roll, you cut them to length as needed) over the readouts... the smaller Z axis readout is particularly hard to see.

Dsc00069.jpg Dsc00070.jpg Dsc00071.jpg

I have a Jet mill too (a little older than yours), and used the iGaging DROs as well. So far, I like them. I mounted my X axis on the front, and Y on the right side, but everything looks *very* similar. I haven't made a cover for the X axis yet, but probably will this summer. I put the displays on the right side of the machine because my power switch is on the left, and I don't use the big drill press bars anyway. I put two strips of super bright white LEDs at the bottom of the quill for extra table lighting. You can see them in the third photo. Hope these photos work...

GG

CIMG5828.JPGCIMG5830.JPGCIMG5840.JPG

CIMG5828.JPG CIMG5830.JPG CIMG5840.JPG

Tonight I mounted LEDs to better see the readouts. For each one, I used the minimum cut length (3 LEDs, about 2" long), which is just right. The glare in the photos is much worse than in person. The mountings are bits of aluminum flashing, stuck to the DROs with VHB tape. I still have to finish up the wiring and mount the 12V power supply.

Dsc00073.jpg

Dsc00077.jpg

Dsc00079.jpg

Dsc00073.jpg Dsc00077.jpg Dsc00079.jpg

Good job, thanks for sharing!

Nice installs! I'll look into the LEDs, I can use some lighting.

thanks, Brian

Back