Resolved "Ignore" a forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

great white

Active User
Registered
We have "ignore member" on here for those times when, well... people just don't/can't agree.

Would it be possible to add an option to "ignore" a specific forum?

I respect that others want to make, discuss and show things that others may not want to see, so I'm not suggesting that certain forums be removed or similar, just that those that don't want to see those subjects should have the option to not have them shoved in their face when doing a search for something like "new posts".

For example: I'm not "anti-weapons" or anything like that (30 year veteran), but I'd rather not see subjects about them in my "new posts" feed. I respect that others enjoy them and it's a valid machining task/project for discussion, but I don't want to see them for reasons I won't go into here. Not trying to start anything, it's just an example. Please take it as that and nothing else.

There are subjects that I don't care about or that sometimes irritate me, but most are titled so as to give a good clue to me not to open them, and there may be some folks that I just avoid because of personalities or inaptitude, bottom line, it does not take much effort to just simply not push the button, or if you do push the button and don't want to continue it is real easy to move on ---

There are subjects that I don't care about or that sometimes irritate me, but most are titled so as to give a good clue to me not to open them, and there may be some folks that I just avoid because of personalities or inaptitude, bottom line, it does not take much effort to just simply not push the button, or if you do push the button and don't want to continue it is real easy to move on ---
The question was for management. thanks for your opinion but it doesn't answer my question in any way.

Great White, you can set the system so that you only show certain Fora and the system will then only display those. And will show which Forum post is new or has had a reply since you last t read any of the selected Fora. Much more efficient than filtering by Member.

Last edited:
Great White, you can set the system so that you only show certain Fora and the system will then only display those. And will show which Forum post is new or has had a reply since you last t read any of the selected Fora. Much more efficient than filtering by Member.
I'm not looking to ignore a member, I want to not see a specific sub forum. It would be much easier to simply have an option to exclude a single forum from the "new posts" search results rather than go through and designate all the other forums as what a user may want to see.

If it can't be done because the forum software doesn't support it, then It can't be done. End of story.

I'm mainly asking because in today's "climate", a thread title like "show us your ar15" might not go over well with forum members that may have had...shall we say, "negative" experiences with that sort of thing.

As I mentioned, I'm not an "anti-gun nut" or anything like that (I have various firearms in my gun safe). I used all sorts of weapons systems in my 30 years of service and have personally seen what they can do to a human body by my own hands. I respect that those that like them, like them. Whatever their reasons.

But it can't be ignored that some might not want to be reminded of something that's happened to them in the past involving weapons. Simply being able to "ignore" the weapons forum would fix that issue. I'll also admit that while I do own an assortment of weapons, I have them for a purpose and would rather not be reminded of what I've had to do with other "types" in my past. The weapons I have are for practice shooting at the range, I don't shoot anything else these days because, well......I don't want to ever again. I also took a long time to develop the skill and as most know, it's perishable if you don't regularly practice, so I target shoot. Lets just say that my ability to put rounds on "target" are quite....lets just say....."refined".

I'm not trying to raise anyone's back or be political here, it just seems the "empathetic" thing to do. Leave the forum results, but allow those that don't want to see it.....not.

Last edited:
I want to not see a specific sub forum. It would be much easier to simply have an option to exclude a single forum from the "new posts" search results rather than go through and designate all the other forums as what a user may want to see.
If you go to a subforum index, near the top on the right there is an Ignore Forum button. There is also the same ignore option for individual threads.

I have never used the feature before so I have no idea if it will exclude them from your New Posts feed. Won't hurt to give it a try, please let us know if that works for you.

If you go to a subforum index, near the top on the right there is an Ignore Forum button. There is also the same ignore option for individual threads.
Well I just tried it, both options will remove threads from the New Posts search.

However, keep in mind that after you ignore a subforum or thread, they will no longer appear in the forum or thread index. Of course that's the idea but if you ever want to unignore them them I'm not sure how to find them. I assume there's a way to see them, like an ignoring list of something but I don't have time at the moment to verify.

Someone marked this as resolved, but it's not. I don't have the mentioned option to "ignore forum" in the upper RH corner.

Here's what I see on a laptop:

Untitled-1.jpg

Perhaps the admin user profile has more options?

Unless "resolved" means "we won't/can't do it", that is.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back