I'm falling in love with the wrong lathe!

@ Mark,

The short bed does concern me in theory. But in practice it hasn't been a problem yet. I do wish I had a center rest though. In fact, I'm thinking of building one.

I also haven't experienced any problems with the high perch yet. But then again, most things I don't go require extreme precision so unless the flexing was causing chattering problems or something like that it probably wouldn't be to big of a deal in terms of precision. At least for most things I make. I just don't need real tight tolerances on most things I make.

So far I seem to be able to turn a shaft to within a thou with no problem. I don't currently foresee a need to do better than that. I'm typically not making super precise stuff. It's just not required for what I'm building. Usually if I need a tight tolerance on a moving part I buy bearings that provide the tolerances I need, and then just machine the mounts for those bearing. So the tolerances are taken care of by the bearings, not by my machining.

There's always a way to get around a need for close tolerances when you are free to design the finished product. :grin:

I guess the biggest roadblock to your theory in my mind is that by learning to live within the confines and limitations of the machine you own you have set yourself up to Never Dream Bigger! Sure learning to use what you have in order to accomplish your goal is by ALL Means an Absolute benefit in Life no Question save one! Yes, Im more the certain that you Could Absolutely keep yourself more then busy enough completing the smaller projects but Ask yourself What If I had access to a larger machine, is there anything I have ever wanted to try to do if only I had what was necessary to accomplish??? Or you can decide to be happy with limiting future YOU's imagination by keeping it confined to a small work envelope.

Mind you the above is not me trying to convince you. That is my process, what i ask myself when im deciding on making a more expensive purchase that I weigh against cost that i choose to share so take it for what its worth.

On second thought...
Since we seem to have the ability to spend YOUR money here I think you should get a PM1340GT and a PM833T. Then you would be much happier. :)

Yes, the machines have limitations, but there is also some features that bigger machines do not have. How many here have a lathe that can fit on a benchtop, and turn 17" diameter pieces? Mine is pretty much dedicated to working on truck rims, brake rotors, and drums. All things that will not fit on my other lathes easily, and it is simpler to clean the cast iron dust off. Even my 16" Southbend will not turn a 16" truck rim. If I was starting out again, I would pick it over the Atlas that was my first machine. Even with the milling attachment, milling on a lathe, is a battle in frustration. Yes, I would not want to use it to hog most of the meat off a 5" diameter chunk of steel, but for small stuff, like robotic parts like Robo Pi discusses, it could easily fit the bill. Having two, could help when making many of the same pieces. 2 mills? 2 lathes, or 1 each? That may fit his needs. Personally, I would look for a decent lathe for a second machine, but I do not know what types of operations Robo Pi does, so I cannot do much but discuss the pros and cons of the various machines, and support his final decision.

I guess the biggest roadblock to your theory in my mind is that by learning to live within the confines and limitations of the machine you own you have set yourself up to Never Dream Bigger!

I dismiss this line of thinking as failing to recognize the reality of the situation. I'm building robots. This lathe/mill is all I need to accomplish this task.

What would it mean for me to "Dream Bigger"? To change my plans and instead decide to build a spacespace to take me to Mars?

Trust me, if I change my plans to where I actually need a better machine, that option will always be available.

Deciding to keep these machining tools for the project at hand in no way would limit what I might later choose to "Dream" about. :grin:

Yes, the machines have limitations, but there is also some features that bigger machines do not have. How many here have a lathe that can fit on a benchtop, and turn 17" diameter pieces?

Yes the 17" swing was a major factor in my original purchase of this machine. Having that large swing has panned out for me quite often.

It certainly has it's "pros". And it's not a bad machine overall actually. I know a lot of people like to trash Chinese machines, but truth be known, they aren't as bad as people claim.

Robo: So the next person that asks "should I buy a combo machine?" I'm going to tell them to buy two! :) Twice the fun! heh heh

Back